Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,904   Online: 1057

Shooter
    35mm

An "old style" 90mm lens (think Collapsible Summicron)

So, I'm interested in perhaps getting a 90mm lens but which has an old style of drawing picture on black and white emulsion, something like Collapsible Summicron but 90mm focal length instead of 50mm :-). Not excessively sharp and contrasty like modern lenses, what should I look for? has to be Leica M mount lens, but not necessarily a Leica lens. Give me recommendations!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jupiter 9 (85mm f/2.0).

The caveat being that, like with all Soviet made lenses (the optical scheme is actually a Zeiss Sonnar designed in the 1930's), you need to get hold of a healthy and properly collimated sample.

There is a rumour going around that they will not focus properly throughout their range on Leica M bodies. I can only say that mine, used on an M6 (M39 to M adapter needed BTW), focuses accurately both near and far, even at full aperture.

Drawing is very nice: somewhat soft at full aprture, sharp and glowing beyond.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An uncoated 90mm Elmar or Wollensak in screwmount. Use an adapter to put it on your "M".

Shooter
    35mm
    Why not get an old collapsible 90/4 Elmar, then? It seems that there are a lot of them around, too.

There's a concrete reason Russian lenses don't work on Leicas, and I would not buy one hoping that it would. I have three, and none work on a Leica, all in exactly the same way (focus behind the subject about 3" at 3', just like the theory predicts), but work fine on a Fed, just as they should. There is no way to "tune them up" so that they work.; if you FULLY understand how they work, you can understand why they don't. I had a laugh today on another board where someone had a "pick the Russian lens" thread. The Russian lens was the one that was focused on the ears instead of the eyes. The owner thought it was fine, just not as sharp, close up. Duh.

Dante Stella gives an excellent explanation of the problem.
    http://www.dantestella.com/technical/compat.html
    Last edited by mdarnton; 12-17-2011 at 07:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Though if you FULLY actually *use* some Russian lenses on a Leica M, strangely enough you'll find some which focus accurately...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    I did "use" them. That's how I found out you can't. I also have discovered that a huge percentage of the population, not limited to non-photographers, can't recognize when something is in focus. Out of focus is not commercially acceptable, which is how I mostly have "used" my cameras.

However, if you enjoy buying equipment, accumulating stuff you can't "use", then buying Russian lenses is a good way to feed that beast. Personally, I don't feel right leading people down that road, but you obviously don't have a problem doing that.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second the uncoated Leica Elmar 4/90 with Ltm/M adapter you can't get more old style than that. One of my favourite lenses. great for portraits and one stop down sharp enough for most work. Probable the better option for general photography is an old elmarit 2.8/90 from the late 50's to early 1960's they can be had for under $300 are superb lenses and still have a slight old time look and they are native M lenses.

Dominik

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin