Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,957   Online: 1158

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    You just don't get it, do you.
    Perhaps, but I get it that your ideology influencing your opinion regarding lenses, as well as turning this forum into an outlet for expressing your political views, while I would assume most of the apugers would be more
    interested in the substantive discussion regarding KMZ lenses, IMHO
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    35mm
    As an addendum to our 'Dear Moderator': I have never experienced an inferior Soviet lens.

Perhaps some will assert that that affirmation defines my political ideology but, no, it really defines my ability to assess acutance. I deflect assertions that pre-suppose technical inferiority as an affirming complement to personal political distastes. That applies to both left and right.

In sum, Dear Moderator earned his keep today. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 01-04-2012 at 08:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    As an addendum to our 'Dear Moderator': I have never experienced an inferior Soviet lens.

Perhaps some will affirm that that affirmation defines my ideology but, no, it really defines my ability to assess acutance. - David Lyga
    The lenses I got to use with my Kiev are beyond reproach. Really excellent. The camera however...

Shooter
    35mm
    The engineering with the Soviet rangefinders was rather good but the quality control was beyond belief and sporadic. A few good ones made it through. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    There is a guy called the "range safety officer" who has a button that can destroy the rocket if it doesn't get back on course. That's me.
    Go on then. I like a good explosion.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Go on then. I like a good explosion.

Steve.
    I think the rocket ditched in the ocean right from the start... with intend! You know, it wasn't Soviet build... only Soviet design Soyuz rockets carry humans to outer space these days
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    The engineering with the Soviet rangefinders was rather good but the quality control was beyond belief and sporadic. A few good ones made it through. - David Lyga
    I don't recall who made this observation, but I thought it was appropriate.

In much the same way that the Japanese Contax were German engineered cameras manufactured in Japan the Kievs and FEDs were German cameras manufactured in the FSU. So as you point out, the engineering was good, but the quality was spotty.

There was no quality control to speak of. I have a few very nice ones that were made nice by Eddy Smolov for me. I have no clue how many carcasses he robbed for good parts to make them that way, and the dioper arm on one is just screwed down and frozen so it can't get fubarred again.

I guess I can say that for me the quality program was in Brooklyn!!
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think something wrong against soviet cameras. Big portion of APUG prefers Leicas , Hasselblads , Linhof , Rollei but when it comes to FSU cameras they wait miracles from 50 dollar Zorki. If you can try a Anamorphic Square Front 21 mm LOMO lens for 25000 dollars and see how soviet products work !
    Trying to make a goal from cheapest product and compare with most expensive , is not IQ driven.
    If you compare with japanese goods , there is no equivalent of sony , panasonic in usa also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's a great joke....

Along with what Umut says, have you ever had a Sovtek guitar amp? Built like tanks, powerful, well made, reliable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    have you ever had a Sovtek guitar amp? Built like tanks, powerful, well made, reliable.
    I use their valves (tubes) in some of the stuff I make but I didn't know they made amps.

EDIT: Or perhaps I did and had forgotten. After getting Mr Google to show me some pictures, I do recall seeing them before.

An amp like that is something anyone can make using garden shed based technology.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin