Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,698   Online: 952

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is the true reason why, Soviet lenses, don't
    quite focus right;

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/compat.html

This was found here, in another thread, I just saved it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    Here is the true reason why, Soviet lenses, don't
    quite focus right;

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/compat.html

This was found here, in another thread, I just saved it.
    Actually they focus fine on the Soviet made bodies. The Soviet QC might have been lacking, but frankly they're pretty damned good engineers. They could get 90% of what the West did with two sticks and a rock. I was constantly amazed at how innovative they could be when I would see a knock off and realize just what they had to work with.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is always an interesting, if misleading, discussion that seems to happen over and over. On another board recently there was a lens shoot-off, and by the time I'd stopped reading a number of people had noticed the Fed lens on a Leica was focusing about 4" behind the subject's eyes, even though the picture that was posted for "quality" comparison was tiny--something that others who missed the focus error regarded as "dreamy" quality.

One of the people there who's a constant critic of the critics over there has never, as far as I can see, posted a single photo of his own on that board that was in focus, and I do mean that literally. Obviously lots of people can't tell if something is in focus or not, yet consider themselves experts on the topic. :-) Others don't care, and that's fine, too, but it's not OK when they call people who do care "too fussy" that their cameras should work as designed and intended. I have three Fed lenses, and a Fed (now out on permanent loan). On my Fed they all focus spot on; on my Leicas they were fine at infinity, but not at 1m, where they all focus about 4" back. It's not Leica's fault, and it's not USSR quality failure, either.

I kept my Kiev. Those lenses are great, and also focus correctly, on the camera they were made for.

Images
    They don't focus because the vodka flowed freely in the QC department.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin