Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,659   Online: 866

nuts and bolts

1. jnanian
    in some places the coffee, vit c and washing soda may be hard to find

if these items are not readily available in your area, or called something different
    post here so we have a list.

i am in the northeast united states
    instant coffee is readily available, i use "stop and shop" generic brand " medium roast"
    vitamin c is not available at all grocery stores, i get it at "whole foods market" as well as "trader joe's"
    ( trader joe's is less expensive by more than 1/3 )
    washing soda i get at the local grocery store. people here use it as a water softener. it is arm and hammer.

these items were not easily found in france the last time i went.
    washing soda ( sodium carbonate ) and vitamin c were both purchased at a pharmacy.
    the sodium carbonate was sold to me in a kilo container, the vit c in a 1/2 kilo container.
    it was not inexpensive by any means.
  2. jpreston
    jpreston
    Potassium Bromide is my problem. The local pharmacy said I needed a prescription...
  3. Oxleyroad
    Oxleyroad
    Here in Oz (Australia) supermarkets sell washing soda under a couple of brands. In the last month it was about $3/kg. Instant coffee available anywhere. Vitamin C bit more tricky I found. Chemists and supermarkets not much use, those extreme body building chemical stores do have vitamin C but real expensive. I have been purchasing off local eBay source from a chemical supplier to the equine industry for $15/kg. Potassium Bromide from 'Vanbar' here in Melbourne and Sydney. Don't remember the cost but not expensive for a kg.
  4. Iantoz
    Iantoz
    Hi Oxleyroad, I have just reread your post re Potassium Bromide, I have found a post that says 12 g/ltr of iodised salt will do the same job, the salt I plan to use will not be the iodised sea salt I put on my food, but the plain salt.
    I plan to try that on my next film.

I live in Oz (Wollongong) and have found similar difficulties in obtaining pure ingredients for developing. The vit C I also buy on the web, washing soda from woollies and the cheap coffee from Aldis.
    There is also an interesting post on paper.

Regards Iantoz.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin