Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,133   Online: 1090

Do you buy fresh film?

1. Robert Brummitt
    I just bought 4 pro packs of Fuji 400 iso 120 film from a photographer who was getting out of the business. Going digital. I got the film on a sweet deal. $20 for the whole set of 4. That breaks down to a dollar a roll. The film is past dated by one year but kept frozen since original purchased.
    I know that I'm a cheap ass person. I rather buy a six pack of beer and have one at home then head over to the local pub. But, I was wondering if any of you look for film bargains as well? Or do you buy fresh when you are running low of film.
    So far, I haven't had any real issues of color shifts and I think thats becasue I ususally buy film from photographers I know and trust.
    I would like you all to share your thoughts on the matter.
    Thanks
  2. markbarendt
    markbarendt
    I buy both.

I like fresh stuff for paid work that's heading for a lab; for the rest, it's art, perfect is an over rated standard.
  3. Chris Sweetman
    Chris Sweetman
    I buy fresh stuff and try and use it before it goes out of date! For amateur print films a few months out of time doesn't matter that much.

Chris
  4. BradleyK
    BradleyK
    I buy all my film (colour and black and white) fresh but in bulk quantities (generally 100-roll orders). Doing so is the most cost effective way of offsetting the cost of shipping from NYC to here in Vancouver. The only time I have ever bought - and shot - outdated film was during the last several months of the "Kodachrome Era," when I ran low on #1563.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin