Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,653   Online: 762

Compensations

1. Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

One of the things that occurred to me is the idea of listing things that we do and things we have found that help work around any short-comings we may have to continue to enjoy our photographic pursuits. For me, things associated with vision obviously are of interest. Another fellow who uses a wheelchair was showing to me some of the things he uses to make carrying and using his cameras more convenient for him.

Corrective diopter lenses to fit onto the eyepiece view port on the camera are very helpful for me, and for many other people with the need to wear glasses normally. The brand of camera that is my favorite is Minolta, and finding accessories to help make my Minolta cameras more useful for me can be difficult at times.

I am far sighted, which seems to be different from the direction of vision correction needed by most other people, where the predominance seems to be near sighted. I can find used minus diopter correction lenses much more often than I can find my needed plus diopter correction lenses. One factor in my favor at this time is that the diopter corrective lenses for the Sony cameras will fit many of the later model Minolta cameras, so I can get some of them from Sony.

Recently I also learned that the Nikon DK-20C rectangular diopter corrective lenses to fit the Nikon F, F2, FM2, FE2 and a few other models in that series, will fit onto similar eye view ports on Minolta and Pentax cameras. This may be easier than I thought with the rectangular eye ports where the diopter correction lenses are in molded plastic mounts that slide onto mating recesses on the rectangular camera eye port. If you cannot find a rectangular eye port corrective lens for your brand of camera, see if one from another maker will go onto your camera and work for you.

The round camera eye ports are turning out to be more challenging. So far I have measured them at 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, and 15mm diameters. I have been told there is also a 16mm diameter eye port. The fine pitch threads are more difficult to measure. There are not very many threads accessible and I am not sure that I am getting the needed length of mesh with my thread pitch gauges to clearly say that it is one thread pitch or the next higher or lower. I am still working on it.

Enjoy;

Ralph, Latte Land, Washington
  2. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

In an effort to show that there are all sorts of ways out there to be in need of some "compensation," but still enjoy photography, there is a friend who has developed a real interest in photography recently. I think the seed was planted originally when there was some "old 35mm film camera equipment" that was passed down from father to child, but nothing really happened then. Just this year, something did, to the point that a Canon EOS-5D II DSLR camera and three lenses were purchased along with several other accessories. No, I was not involved in the equipment selection for this purchase. It came as a surprise to me, but now I am coming up with recommendations for books to read, and talking about photography in general, and how to take photographs. It was weird. The old film cameras were actually quite good, but it seems that the DSLR was needed to actually get the interest underway.

So why is this unusual? The student is deaf. Cannot hear anything. Result of an automobile accident almost 20 years ago. It seems that having some kind of deficiency in the way that our body works does not limit our interest in photography. OK. Some of you probably noted that I referred to "talking about photography" with someone who is deaf. (???) Yes, that is a colloquial phrase. Normally we do communicate mainly in writing, but I am learning some American Sign Language (ASL). And, I am really impressed with just how effective "lip reading" can be, as long as I am looking in the correct direction.

Enjoy;

Ralph, Latte Land, Washington

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin