Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,078   Online: 1085

Welcome to Graflex Land.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. mhcfires
    As an update to my previous post, I have also picked up a 4x5 RB Series B Graflex with kodak #33 anastigmat lens. It is in pretty good condition, I did lube the shutter, it sounds like it is ok, not sure yet. I'll try and take a few shots with it in the next few days. I also an awaiting a 4x5 pre-Anniversary Speed. It has a graflex back, so all my holders will fit. Hope to post something soon.
  2. mhcfires
    mhcfires
    I posted a few shots taken with my 3x4 Auto-Graflex. B&W was taken near Big Bear Lake, CA, Efke 100PL film. Color shot taken on Mother's Day after church. Ektar 100 film.
  3. Bertil
    Bertil
    Good to see some of yours pictures mhcfires; gives me an opportunity to delete some of my own and give space to others. Would be nice with some more pictures from the group.
    //Bertil
  4. gephoto
    gephoto
    Hi everyone! I'm expecting delivery of my "new" used Speed Graphic next Tues. or Wed. I've been a large format photographer for quite a few years now, but have never laid hands on a Speed or Crown Graphic before. I'm pretty excited about making my first exposures with this hand held 4x5! It has a graphmatic back so I will be able to use my Horseman 6x9 and 6x12 roll film backs. I will be looking forward to coming here for advice and to share my experiences too. As soon as I have some images to post I will do so. Take care all! Cheers!
    Grant
  5. Bertil
    Bertil
    Welcome to the group Grant! Looking forward to hear about your experience with your Speed, and see some pictures.
    Best regards
    //Bertil
  6. gephoto
    gephoto
    Thanks Bertil! In fact I just received the camera today!!! I've been studying the PDF I downloaded from orphancameras.com so I don't do anything stupid. What a beautiful camera and it's in really nice condition. It's got the 127mm f/4.7 Ektar which seems to be a moderately wide lens. Can't wait to expose some film with it in the next couple of days. From the little bit I've played with it, the focal plane shutter seems in good condition too. The one thing that may not be working properly is the press focus button. If I understand it, shouldn't the shutter open for focusing when I press the button after cocking the shutter? Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly. Other than that, the lens glass is very clean. In fact I can't see any markings on the glass at all, including cleaning marks. Very sweet! I'm open to any tips or suggestions anyone has to share with me. Now I can actually participate with my own camera instead of just lurking! Have a great evening everyone and try to imagine the big smile on my face! Cheers!
    Grant
  7. Bertil
    Bertil
    There should be a button on the lens such that you can open up the shutter (in the lens) in order to view the subject on the ground glass and focusing (having the focal plane shutter open). If not, there is some problem with the shutter in your lens. Really, have no problem imagine your big smile: the camera is a beauty!!
    //Bertil
  8. gephoto
    gephoto
    Bertil,
    Yeah, I have been setting the shutter on T for focusing since I get no response from the button when I press it. Everything else about the shutter works fine. All speeds work. I may need to have the lens CLA'd. If I want to spend the money. Anyway, I plan to make some images this weekend. Both color and B&W. I can process the B&W in my Jobo and scan the images. When I do I'll post them and show you the results. We're celebrating our Thanksgiving holiday here on Thursday, so I'll have an extra day off this week to play a little bit and also the weekend. Take care til then.
    Grant
  9. brian d
    brian d
    gephoto,
    I dont know if this will help but if you have a supermatic or flash supermatic you should cock the shutter then hold down the press button while pressing the shutter release to lock the shutter open
    recock the shutter to release it, if you have a Graphex shutter it will have a lever instead of a button, cock the shutter then move the lever clockwise and down to open the blades move it back counterclockwise to close the the blades (loosely copied from a '47 edition of Graphic Graflex Photography). These methods work on the camera's that I have, hope its helpful.
    Have fun with your new speedgraphic!
    Brian
  10. gephoto
    gephoto
    Hey Brian,
    Thanks very much for the tip. It works just as you described! I have a lens with an Ilex No. 4 shutter that has a similar button, but all you have to do after cocking the shutter is press the button. Then to close it you simple re-cock the shutter. Anyway, I would not have figured that out about the Supermatic shutter so I appreciate your help with this. Have a great Thanksgiving weekend.
    Grant
  11. brian d
    brian d
    Glad to see you got it figured out
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  12. gephoto
    gephoto
    Okay all, I just posted 4 images from my first shoot with the "new" Speed Graphic and 127 Ektar lens. I shot Delta 100 4x5 using one of my Graphmatic holders, which worked like a charm. One of the shots was taken using the GG and a tripod as a means of comparison to the rangefinder. The other 3 were made using the rangefinder and it looks like it is pretty accurate. FYI for any one that is interested, I processed the film using DD-23 A&B using my Jobo CPP-2 for 4.5 minutes. Let me know what you think. Take care all.
    Grant
  13. Bertil
    Bertil
    Not familiar with DD-23 A&B, can you say something more what kind of developer it is? Seems to give you nice results, looking at your recent uploads (and don't think it's two bath D-23!).
    //Bertil
  14. gephoto
    gephoto
    It's very similar to D-23 2 bath, except it uses 5 grams Metol instead of the usual 7.5 grams. The "B" sol'n is 1% Borax. It is called the Stoeckler 2 bath variation. Here's a link to a very interesting article of several variation of the standard D-23 developer. Interesting stuff: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/DD-23/dd-23.html
    Grant
  15. Bertil
    Bertil
    Didn't thought your picture looked like using a highly compensating developer like these variations on (two bath) D-23, thought you used something else (particularly looking at the picture with the very dark sky). OK, thanks for the link (There is a (long!) thread on the APUG forum discussing D-23 and pros and cons regarding two bath variations. Variations of D-23 is interesting for some subjects, but in my experience you don't get very nice highlights, which sometimes gives the very edge to some subjects).
    Have a nice time with the Speed!
    /Bertil
  16. Christopher Walrath
    Christopher Walrath
    Well, I got my B&J Press 4x5 camera yesterday. So, sign me up.
  17. Bertil
    Bertil
    You are most welcome Christopher!
    Tell us more about your B&J press 4x5, is it the type with the rangefinder coupled to the viewfinder?
    /Bertil
  18. Bosaiya
    Bosaiya
    I've been known to put a lot of film through my Graphic, but lately I have been using my RBs more and more. I'm not sure if that makes me a heathen or just even more of a luddite than normal. At least they have Graflex in the name, right?
  19. Christopher Walrath
    Christopher Walrath
    Well, the B&J has the viewfinder and the rangefinder attached. Came with an Ektar 127mm on a Kodak Shutter w/ 1/4000 - 1 sec and B and T. Shutter's kinda picky but I figured it out. Rail extensions. Bellows is in great shape. Came with the leather zipper case that holds about all of my film holders and notebooks and a hardbound copy of 'The Negative' for reference. I haven't picked up the Minoltas for over a month now. The B&J is my daily user. I love it.
  20. brian d
    brian d
    <<I haven't picked up the Minoltas for over a month now. The B&J is my daily user. I love it.>>
    Press camera's have that effect, my Minoltas dont get out that often anymore either
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin