Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,996   Posts: 1,524,288   Online: 862

Your latest hike....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Blighty
    Had an interesting day out last Friday on the Bowland Fells; a fairly desolate group of hills and moors straddling the Lancashire/Yorkshire boundary. The walk took in Raven's Castle - aptly named - and Cold Stone, a huge weathered outcrop of Millstone grit. Took my F5, fisheye, tilt/shift and wide-angle zoom and had great fun using them. Lots of mist, stone walls, ravens and bogs. I'll post some images here or on the gallery when I get my arse into gear and get into the darkroom.
  2. thefizz
    thefizz
    Looking forward to seeing the images. I have the same problem getting my arse into gear but I hope to hit the darkroom soon.
  3. coigach
    coigach
    Was on the Isle of Arran for a photography trip a few weeks ago. Went up a mountain called Caisteal Abhail, which gives a great view towards Cir Mhor, a wonderful, sharp granite peak. There is a perfect curving ridge connecting the two hills, and I was looking for soft late evening light to pick out the shapes. Hard work hauling myself and gear to the top, but was on summit by 5pm and spent an hour in perfect light taking photos - lovely shadow recession along the jaggy Arran mountain ridges too. It was before the clocks changed, so getting quite dark after about 6.15pm. Will post results to the gallery sometime over the next few months. Managed to get off the steepest part of the ridge by last light and had a couple of, ahem, interesting hours in the dark over trackless peat-hagged moorland with only a headtorch and a bar of chocolate for company...!

Here's a link to a hillwalking site with photos of Caisteal Abhail and the Arran ridges taken by climbers. Ignore the 'see all pictures of...' button and click on each individual trip report in turn instead, this has many more pictures for some reason:
    http://www.scottishhills.com/html/mo...y=area&hill=77

Cheers,
    Gavin
  4. Blighty
    Blighty
    Yesterday. What a great day! Me and Steve W. took us a plod up Glaramara in the English lake district. It was clear, bright and friggin' freezing. Little bits of snow here and there and, to cap it all, we saw a Ring Ouzel, or rather Steve saw it and I nodded sagely, pretending to be knowledgable on such things. I didn't realise how unfit I'd become since the last big walk I did last december. It's alright going uphill, but coming down! My knees were close to buckling by time we'd reached the bottom and they're still aching as I write this. I took my Nikon F80, 50mm standard and 16mm fisheye. The F80 has this disconcerting habit of going dead when it gets cold (or even slightly cold). I Don't know if there's anything wrong or if it's some kind of design issue. Hey-ho.
  5. coigach
    coigach
    An Easter Sunday photo trip to a hill in the Scottish Central Highlands, Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh.
    See http://www.scottishhills.com/html/mo...=area&hill=165
    Was on summit from about 5.30 - 8pm, beautiful soft low light. Wonderful 360 degree views, but particularly nice towards the Etive mountains and Blackmount for those who know the area. Will post photos to the Gallery in due course.

Cheers,
    Gavin
  6. Blighty
    Blighty
    Just thought I'd let you good people know, I've posted an image (entitled: Towards Stocks Reservoir) from my Bowland Plod in the standard gallery.
  7. Blighty
    Blighty
    DOW CRAG
    Had a great walk with son Stef last week. We went up Dow Grag in the English Lake District. My son always likes us to set off early, so there we were at 6:50 in the morning making our way up through the mist and mirk. As we reached Goatswater (the tarn at the base of the crags) the mist started to lift off the buttresses and for a brief moment, the whole scene was reminiscent of Skull Island from King Kong. It was superb to watch. We got the best of the weather; it pissed it down soon as we left the summit and never stopped 'til we got back to the car. Took the usual F80, fisheye and standard lenses.
  8. thefizz
    thefizz
    You sure do get out Blighty . I think I got one hike since starting this group
  9. Blighty
    Blighty
    Whenever I can, really. I have the Lake District 20 odd miles North, the Bowland Fells 10 minutes drive away and the Pennines 30 mins drive. Oh, and Morecambe bay within view from my front door. It'd be a shame not to 'exploit' this natural resource. I think I'm going up to the Lakes again this Friday! I just spent a small fortune on new walking kit - boots, trousers and kag. Not much change from £400. Aaaagh!!
  10. Blighty
    Blighty
    Bowland Fells
    Took a plod up Totridge Fell in the east of the Bowland Fells today. Good walk. Weather was cloudy but bright and surprisingly good for photography. I've just been recovering from a 48hr bug and today was pretty much my first venture outdoors since last week. Now I've gone and got a friggin' cold!! Decided to take my XA2 today, which meant I could also take my binoculars as it's productive birdwatching country around Bowland.
  11. coigach
    coigach
    Sounds like you've been busy Blighty - look forward to seeing the results in the Gallery.

I'm off the the northwest highlands of Scotland in a couple of weeks, based in Ullapool. Hope to climb Canisp - plan is dusk photos from the summit over the Assynt wilderness to Suilven. Fingers crossed...!

Cheers,
    Gavin
  12. Blighty
    Blighty
    Hope you get the weather and not the midges!!
  13. coigach
    coigach
    Went up Canisp, a mountain in the northwest highlands of Scotland. Set out about 5pm to get nice low light at top - hard work hauling my ass and heavy rucsac full of camera gear to summit. But what an amazing view to Suliven, in my opinion the best mountain in Scotland. Not a breath of wind and sharp views in all directions. (See thread below for some summit pictures taken by a climber on the Scottish Hills website). Left summit at 9.30pm and had another epic descent in the gloaming / total darkness...!

Will post anything worthwhile in gallery in due course.

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/mo...ewtopic&t=4899

Cheers,
    Gavin
  14. Blighty
    Blighty
    Robinson/Hindscarth A windy day out on the North Western fells of the Lake District and a few pictures as well. It was that sort of light you only get in mountains; intense, limpid and superb for photography

15. Blighty
    Blighty
    Well, seeing as nobody has posted for a while, I'll make a suggestion: we need a thumbnail icon for the group. Something colourful? That rules me out!!
  16. coigach
    coigach
    Been working like a dog on my photography lately, making the most of the cold winter - am gathering images of the Scottish Highlands I hope to get published as a book. Set myself a target of having everything ready to send to prospective publishers this summer. After a good few years I can see the end in sight...!

Just back from a trip in the far North West Highlands, lots of snow, biting wind but nice light. Have a big backlog of images to get through over the next few months, will post some to APUG gallery.

Cheers,
    Gavin
  17. thefizz
    thefizz
    Good luck with your book Gavin and let us know when its published as I know it would be worth buying.

Peter
  18. coigach
    coigach
    Thanks for kind words Peter.

Am just back from the islands of Mull + Iona. Had a productive trip.

I was working at St Columcille's Bay on Iona, a pebble beach which has a beautiful mixture of coloured pebbles of all different rock types - must be something to do with the strange tidal currents in the Hebrides, as many of the rock types are not found elsewhere on Iona.

Was also at Shiaba on Mull, an abandoned village 'cleared' in the 1840's during the Highland Clearances. It's a beautiful but sad place. Here's more info:
    http://website.lineone.net/~romhc/shiaba.htm

Trip before that was to Isle of Seil in Argyll, nice light but bl~~dy freezing! Have had several sessions there over the last few years but never quite got what I was after. Was finally successful. Here's the first of a few gallery posts:
    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...atid=newimages

Will post some stuff to APUG gallery when I can muster the enthusiasm to scan - scanning is such a chore...!

Cheers,
    Gavin
  19. Blighty
    Blighty
    NON-STARTER Today was not a good day. The forecast said cloudy but getting brighter, so I took the chance and sped off up to the Lakes in the hope of making an ascent of Fairfield via Greenhow End. This is a classic route up the fell with (so I've read) a bit of easy scrambling en route, so it was imperative to locate the start accurately. Anyway, the weather just got murkier and murkier, along with my mood. At the top of Kirkstone Pass the low cloud was so thick that driving was a pain. And it was drizzling. I pulled in at the car park and waited 20 or 30 minutes just to see if it would brighten up a midges; just enough to give me the merest glimmer of hope. But did it? Did it f**k! It was one of those very rare occasions when I give up before I start. I knew it would be a dreary trudge down Deepdale but an even drearier trudge up to the summit. So I drove back home (only an hour away), messed about on the computer for an hour then cycled up to the University for a swim as some sort of recompense. Looking over the bay, by 12 noon, most of the cloud over the Lakes had dissipated and my mood had not improved. Feck!!
  20. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, all;

We had a bit of a hike on Sunday on one of the San Juan Islands in Puget Sound out here in the Pacific Northwest. It was not really that much; the main goal was seeing and photographing the flowers that are really looking nice at this time of the year. And, somehow the hike organizer/leader managed to choose one of the nicely sunny days we have had this spring. Maximum elevation was only 620 feet (189 Meters), but we went from sea level up to about 600 feet a few times around the island. Total distance was only about 3 miles (~ 5 km).

The meadows were amazing with their covering of all kinds and colors of flowers. There were some small plots set aside and fenced off to indicate to people that the flowers in that area were getting to be rare, and please do not walk on them or disturb them. Some of the flowers were just beginning to bloom. Others were drifting past their prime appearance. I feel satisfied with the efforts in photography I was able to make in the time we had and in trying to keep up with the pace of the group. Perhaps next year I will come alone and concentrate on just photography.

Some of the other people carrying cameras were interested in my gear. The one discussed the most is the three pieces of white poster board or cardboard with white tape along the two joining edges to form a light reflector and wind block for the selected flower or blossom. My main use with this is with the wind blocking function. Having the camera on a little tripod or stand does not really help if the subject is still swaying and darting about.

And the photography of the flowers was often interrupted by the birds around, including a bald eagle that watched and circled us. I did not think that any of us were that close to providing a meal opportunity for him.

Enjoy; Ralph, Latte Land, Washington
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin