Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,266   Online: 741

WooHoo! Cash to splash... what should I do?

1. SteveR
    Good afternoon everyone,

Well, after nearly six months of pestering via phone and email, I checked my bank account today to find that I've finally received my long service leave payout from the job I was in for nine years, before leaving to venture down Geelong way. So, while the majority of it is going into savings (gotta be grown up now that I'm -almost- a dad), or possibly a new bike (IF my lovely lady will come at it...) I am setting some aside to treat myself. I've got a couple of toys in mind...

I've been looking at some new hiking/camping gear, namely a new tent (my current one is fantastic, but not very hikeable), a new portable cooker (when travelling in the 4wd it's either the 2kg gas cylinder, open fire, or in emergencies, an old bluet stove my dad used to use motorbike touring). I'm kind of gearing towards being even more light-weight in the way I travel, even though now I'm practically a 'backpacker on wheels', as I've been called by guys I've met on my travels, all in their fully laden, can't-see-out-the-back-window 4wd's. I'm open to the posibility that, for financial reasons, I may have to pass the 4wd on, in which case I'll be travelling and camping on two wheels, so I'm lightening the load in anticipation just in case that happens... and I'd like to start doing some overnight hikes too.

On the other side of the coin, is the possibility of a new lens (woohoo!). In my current kit I've got a 135, 210 and 300. Ideally, I'd like to be able to replicate my 645 kit, which has a 35, 55, 75 and 150, which has led me to look into 75mm lenses for the 4x5, figuring it would give me a similar angle and feel to the 35 on 645.

So, I just wanted to post this up to, well, mainly because I'm excited to have some money I'm allowed to use purely for fun, but partly because I'm very suggestable, and would love some 'if I were in your shoes' opinions ...and partly because I'm stuck in an office, backfilling a pile of paper-work and lonely and bored out of my head... why do I agree to these things?!!!
  2. Wyno
    Wyno
    Hi Steve,
    How about something for free. I found a nearly unused sepia toning kit (both parts), that I'm not going to use soon. If you want I'll bring it into work tomorrow sometme.
    Mike
  3. SteveR
    SteveR
    Well, if it needs a home Mike, who am I to argue? I'll be in late tomorrow, we've got an appointment with an obstetrician in the morning, should be in by 12 though. I'll bring in a couple of the pictures I showed you on the weekend which I toned on Sunday afternoon, they came up pretty nice.
  4. SteveR
    SteveR
    Well, if it needs a home Mike, who am I to argue? I'll be in late tomorrow, we've got an appointment with an obstetrician in the morning, should be in by 12 though. I'll bring in a couple of the pictures I showed you on the weekend which I toned on Sunday afternoon, they came up pretty nice.
  5. SteveR
    SteveR
  6. Wyno
    Wyno
    I'll see you after 12
    Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin