Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,148   Online: 844

New Darkroom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. largeformat pat
    Hi all,
    I have been compiling plans for my darkroom. It was going to be 9 x 4 metres with E6 dip and dunk (8x10). I have revised and are moving away from this. Now 6 x 3 metres with room for my 4 enlargers. (L184, D5500, D2 and 7700). Bench space for the Jobo, Ilford RCP2250 and Durst RCP40. (hope to get a CAP40) I thought to myself about setting up the lab again and decided against it. Just stuff for my fun.I will post some pictures as it progresses. I have ordered the timber for the frame and will start next week. The new council laws up here (NSW) allows you to build a GARDEN SHED up to 20m2 within certain guidelines. There is no need for approval. I poured the slab about 3 years ago and have a smaller shed on it. This shall be enlarged 3x. I would mind seeing pics of your darkrooms.
    Pat
  2. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    Have started construction. 50 amp power feed to darkroom in 10mm2 cable. Telephone, TV and data cables in. separate run for the compressor, in ajoining shed. Town water and tank water connected. Doing sewer over the week end. Placed provision 6 years ago. Frames will start after I pour a 9 x 4 meter slab to relocate the smaller shed. I'm doing all construction myself. I have a plumber and sparky mate though. Looking into the future, I'm looking for sinks and cupboards. I may make the cupboards so I can use water grade ply. I think the timber would look OK with clear estapol over it?
    Keep you posted and pics to follow.
    Pat
  3. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    Jeez,
    Its bloody hard to haul a three core 10mm2 cable 35 metres by yours self, cable lube is great. As i stated separate run for the compressor so it won't affect my enlargers. Switch will be in the darkroom and compressor next door in own shed. Going to run the water in poly (blue stripe) then all fitting are threaded, no need for solder. I have made provision for tank and town water both filtered. I'm working towards having the thing finished within the next 3 weeks.
    Pat
  4. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    Last of concrete goes in Saturday AM. Did 3.6m3 myself on Wednesday. Final pour means I can start constructing the wall frames for the darkroom. Will order roof sheeting next week. Going to look at pre packed cupboards. Will have running before Easter. Just waiting on the film to come back from the chemists to show photos.
    Pat
  5. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    Guys,
    Concrete is done. Wall frames, weekend...............? Once it is done however, I will have an open house for you guys willing to travel. Barrington tops very close, a couple of shots in the morning. back to the darkroom and process. Then print. Will try for Easter. If not ANZAC weekend, There is a comfortable motel in town if somebody wished to stay a day or so. And it's not the "BATES MOTEL" See how we go.
    Pat
  6. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    Started today, cut and assembled the four frames. 6 x 3 meters. 2400mm - 2700mm high. Tomorrow plumb up and square walls. Fit bracing and noggings.More to follow
    Pat

http://www.apug.org/forums/members/l...-knackered.jpg
  7. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
  8. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    Today,
    Day three of building. Frames totally braced, nogging in and all rafters have bevelled edge cut. All frames plumb. Pictures tomorrow.
    Pat
  9. Briand
    Briand
    :o Hi Pat:
    great job, should be a Fab setup when its finished, it will make your job of printing a lot easier.Well done.
    Cheers Brian,
    PS am doing a workshop at the end of April with Richard White, so hope to learn heaps more with the 4x5.
  10. trotkiller
    trotkiller
    I would kill for a darkroom like that all for myself....

One day....
  11. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    Bloody work, why can't people use fire right!!!!!!!!!!. work order slightly disrupted. All rafters on, a couple of brackets to go. Cut the ends and then start sheeting the wall. Fascia, gutter, roof sheets and barge capping by the weekend. more pictures to follow. 10mm out of square. 2 mm out of plumb on one stud. Oh well????????? Started roughing in the power points and light switches. Three safe lights ( different colours) fluro tubes and incandesant at low wattage for silver coating work.
    Pat
  12. SteveR
    SteveR
    Now this is one 'shed' I can't wait to see up and running! Good job Pat, sounds like you've got it all well planned.
  13. Ian David
    Ian David
    Very nice. So, when is the darkroom-warming party?

Ian
  14. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    Ian,
    Hope fully Anzac long weekend. I was hopping for Easter, don't think so. I will have a shin dig as I stated in an earlier post. There is a motel in town. Maybe go out and shoot for a few hours then back to the tunnel to process the mornings work.
  15. Ian David
    Ian David
    Anzac day weekend eh? Would be very good, but I will have to play it by ear...
    I will definitely swing by your part of the world at some stage though Pat, so please keep a cold beer in the fridge!
    Ian
  16. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    All, Or whom,
    Exterior walls clad today. 50% of power roughed in. Sound system cables run. 5-1. Data, TV and phone. Will post pics tomorrow.
    Pat
  17. Ian David
    Ian David
    Sound system cables run. 5-1. Data, TV and phone.

Is this going to be a darkroom, or a lounge/office? Or all three?
  18. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    I've got dish to go on the roof, ABC radio via sat for perfect sound. DVD player for mp3's. no office... thats work. A fun room with few mod cons.
    Pat
  19. SteveR
    SteveR
    "A fun room with few mod cons."

I'm liking the sound of this more and more!

I'm in the process of moving (well, the planing part of the process at least), trying to factor a better darkroom space into the new house... I've already been promised a whole wall to myself by the lady of the house :P I'm very envious of all of you with dedicated spaces, I certainly miss a permanent instillation. However, with the new move, will also come a new job, which hopefully (fingers crossed for me please guys!) will include good darkroom facilities as a perk.

...still, I doubt there will be satellite radio or surround sound!
  20. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    Fascia, Gutter, and roof on. Feeling tied. Well photography is a demanding partner. I will post picture tomorrow.
    Pat
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin