Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,156   Online: 1064

Images from Blue Mtns

1. Briand
    Hi
    just a few images from my trip to the Blue Mountains with Carey, Reasonable happy with them, but still a long way to go?????
    cheers all
    your thoughts would be appreciated.:rolleyes:[IMG][/IMG]
  2. Seabird
    Seabird
    Hi Brian,

You're quick! My pix wont be printed till after Easter - I haven't even developed the negatives yet! However, I'll add some images to this thread once they're available - assuming I got anything usable. (I could add the digisnaps I took with the P&S but that would be contrary to the rules of the site...)

I'm interested to see that your eye was captured by the closer, detail compositions rather than the wider shots that I went for. Of the two you've shown I prefer the second one (Junction Falls). That would be the 65mm Nikkor I take it? You asked for comment so here goes: at the risk of being an arrogant twat, I'd be tempted to crop the bottm of that image a bit more tightly. I find the triangular shelf at the bottom distracts my eye from the cascade. Of course, that's just my opinion. But I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Anyway, it was good to meet you. As I indicated elsewhere, it was a enjoyable day with good company - only downsides were the weather, the leeches, and legs that aren't as young as they used to be.

Cheers

Carey Bird
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/index.html
  3. Briand
    Briand
    Hi Carey.
    thanks for the comment,
    I agree the foreground is a bit distracting,I will look at croping it a little, I will post some other shots when I've finnished sorting them,
    Again thanks for the day out. look forward to seeing some of your work when you get them done
    Cheers
    Brian
  4. Seabird
    Seabird
    Hi Brian,

As promised, here's some pictures from our Blue Mountains field trip back in March. Apologies for the delay but the combination of full-time job plus temporary darkroom mean I dont get to spend as much time on this hobby as I would like However, I set up the darkroom yesterday and caught up on all my proofing and banged off a few workprints (hopefully get on to some real printing over the next day or so). Anyways, here we go:

Junction Falls 2010
    Nikkor-SW 90/f8 on Linhof Technika IV
    64s @ f22 (EI64) - FP4+ in Rodinal 1+50 for 6mins

Junction Falls No.2 2010
    Nikkor-SW 90/f8 on Linhof Technika IV
    64s @ f22 (EI64) - FP4+ in Rodinal 1+50 for 6mins

Terrace Falls 2010
    Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Symmar MC 150/f5.6 on Linhof Technika IV
    16s @ f16 (EI64) - FP4+ in Rodinal 1+50 for 7.5mins

I'm not that happy with the two Junction Falls pictures: still trying to tame the contrast so as to get decent shadow detail but avoid blowing the highlights in the water... May have something to do with the long exposures and reciprocity failure... May just be due to that back-light that was blasting over the top of the waterfall...

Cheers

Carey Bird
  5. Briand
    Briand
    Hi carey.
    thanks for posting the pic,s from our day out, its interesting to compare the compositions when photographers shoot the same area,I like the image of the terrace falls,I enjoyed our day very much,Thanks again for your time, will be going to Falls Creek at the end of the month, hope to get some good images.
    Im feeling a little more confident with the 4x5 now, and my new addition mMamiya 645 is great all so.
    Cheers Brian
  6. OldBikerPete
    OldBikerPete
    Dropped in to see BrianD over Easter. A nice place hes's got up there in the lap of the high country. He showed me some absolutely superb prints, too. Peter.
  7. pellicle
    pellicle
    Hi

nice images.

I currently use a Fujinon SW90mm f8 and have been considering the Nikkor ... seems to be quite an amount of flare in your pictures, so I wonder if this was created by any filters? Did you use any filters?

just wondering :-)
  8. Briand
    Briand
    Hi Pellicle
    I dont think its lens flare, its reflectoin off the water, I think in hindsight a polarizer would have cured this problem, didn't think of it at the time.I dont know if Carey used any filters?
    was great to see Pete over the weekend, he brought some of his amazing Very large prints to show, one of which he kindly gave to a friend who was staying with me, thanks for the kind gesture it was greatly appreciated.
    Cheers Brian
  9. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    It makes me happy to hear such feedback and gifts. Just what this place is for.
    Pat
  10. pellicle
    pellicle
    @Briand

I hope I didn't come across as being some sort of negative speaker there (although ADOX is presently my personal favourite negative) having just done some into the light stuff here with my gear for testing SeaBirds top picture looked like flare to me.

I was surprised how badly my Cokin filters did ... I'm sure I'll be ditching them and getting glass from now on. (not to mention the effects created on small level details ... that's likely to be a blog post in the future when I'm re-settled).
  11. Briand
    Briand
    Pellicle.
    No problem, your comments are appreciated,I see your not happy with the Cokin Filters? I was thinking of getting some for my gear, The price is pretty steep though, I was looking at the Pro Z series as my largest lens is 77mm filter thread, not counting the 300mm Nikkor at 100mm, the only filter I have at this stage is a Polarizer, any other comments on Filter systems would be helpfull.
    Cheers Brian
  12. Seabird
    Seabird
    Hi Pellicle,

Thanks for your comments and you query - and no offense taken

On the top Juncton Falls pic the only filter I used was a Hoya HMC UV that lives on the lens to protect the front element. I'm not sure whether it is flare or not. Bear in mind that there was a lot of water coming down that cliff face (quite apart from the main flow) and it was a long exposure. The day was also quite overcast with a fair bit of mositure in the air (this was at Lawson and it was raining heavily at Katoomba). What you see as flare may be the drips of water across the cliff face being "smeared" by the long exposure. Flare is not generally a problem with my Nikkor-SW 90/f8 - at least not so as I have noticed it. I would be much more inclined to blame my technique than the equipment (and nearly didn't post that image on account of the technical issues with it. I've never enlarged it - the scan was from a 4x5 contact proof sheet).

Then again it could be flare...

Cheers

Carey Bird
  13. OldBikerPete
    OldBikerPete
    pellicle said: " I was surprised how badly my Cokin filters did ... I'm sure I'll be ditching them and getting glass from now on. (not to mention the effects created on small level details ... that's likely to be a blog post in the future when I'm re-settled)."Do tell, pellicle. I have some Cokin grads which I have yet to use in anger. What disappointed you about yours?Peter.
  14. pellicle
    pellicle
    pete

as all my photography gear is now packed I can't give you an example just now. But essentially subtle details were blurred and it was like looking through poor quality glass. Some people have called this "micro contrast" but I don't sit well with that name.

It is dependent on magnification it won't show up till you're doing significant enlargement, but it was like prawns eyes when I put it in front of a 100mm lens on my G1 panasonic. Clearly taking that small a segement of film and enlarging it to that extent will mean you're in mural enlargement thinking ... but then that's why I use my 4x5 ...

I have this one printed to 1.8 meters high in the stair case ...

In hindsight I'm glad I didn't use any filter on the lens that day
    (ps, I am guilty of obsessing with detail in my capture)

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2008/03...-restored.html
  15. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    You could also maybe look at rotten wratten?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin