Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,653   Online: 645

I guess I'm the only large format user?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. SteveR
    "actually I learned years ago that mostly what you see first will be what attracted you to the scene. So that's the best angle to explore."

Ha ha! Yep, I've also learned that, I just haven't learned it yet, if you know what I mean :P
  2. pellicle
    pellicle
    @pat
    "Bet you can't wait for an Australian winter??"

well ... its the summer I fear ...

makes developing a dreadful task too ...
  3. pellicle
    pellicle
    @steve

:-)

yeah ... I was just talking about "knowing" and knowing yesterday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

:-D
  4. SteveR
    SteveR
    Alright, finally got some time to sit and scan, here's one I took in the cold (okay, not that cold) and wet down at Geelong last week:

and another one, on 6x12, but still shot on a 4x5, does that count? :P

One last one, another 6x12 from a spot on the river not far from home:

Pat, hopefully this will convince you that you're not the only LF shooter out there

These are the first pictures I've uploaded to Apug, I know I should have resized them a little more, but hopefully they'll still come up okay until I get around to it.
  5. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    I must have been cold. Only silly photographers are out in this weather. Not even a seagull. The top one brings back memories, of seafood and trips to Geelong. There used to be a fish and chips shop in Donnybrook rd in Corio. Nice and fresh. A Greek gent and his wife, down there for work. Fast food Friday.
    Pat
  6. Wyno
    Wyno
    The top one looks like the pier just next to Rippleside. When I first moved to Geelong in 1958, the park area at Rippleside used to be a rubbish dump, now look at it.
    Mike
  7. SteveR
    SteveR
    Yes, the top two actually are from the little pier near Rippleside (what a cute name for a suburb!), the second one is from the end of the pier looking NE. I had a good time mooching around there for the day, I'm looking forward to the move down, my partner started her new job there last week, got our house confirmed today, now I just need to hear back about a job I applied for (nearly a month ago now) and we can get the ball rolling. Maybe it's just the new area, but I find the docks and the rail yards very inspiring.
  8. Wyno
    Wyno
    You're moving to Geelong? If you are this makes 4 (perhaps 5) LF users in the Geelong area. Damn, we'll have to have our own group on APUG. One guy, who I think is only on LF Photography Forum shoots buildings almost exclusively. The other one works at the Gordon TAFE where I do and has a very nice Ebony 4x5 kit which he doesn't use very much. This couold be the very thing to get him motivated.
    Mike
  9. SteveR
    SteveR
    Wow Mike, sounds like I'm moving to the right place! The position I applied for down there was actually with the Gordon TAFE, I'm debating whether to phone up and see how the shortlisting process is going or not, don't want to pester them though, any thoughts? I actually tried to call the guy that was in charge of this position, but just kept leaving messages, so I don't want to become a pain!

I almost tempted (if I'm unsuccessful with the Gordon position) to just find myself any old part time work to start with, and spend a few months photographing, and really getting to know the area.
  10. Wyno
    Wyno
    Steve, did you apply for the technical officers position in the Arts area? I applied for it and didn't even get an interview. It'd be good to have you down here though, someone who knows the pain of carrying LF gear in the bush.
    There is plenty of part time work in the area if you're not fussy, and there's lots to photograph close by.
    Mike
  11. SteveR
    SteveR
    You mean they've filled the position already? Dang... I'm on a selection panel for a couple positions at work up here at the moment, and the first thing we do is let people know 'yes' or 'no' as soon as we've finished shortlisting. That's a bit of a disappoint Ahh well, I'll start looking around again (had put a pause on it, because the position there took everything I do in all of my 'free time-freelancing' and rolled it into one), would still love to do something in the TAFE though, the house we're moving into is just across the road in Geelong West... if you hear of anything, please feel free to pass any details along!
  12. Wyno
    Wyno
    Steve, I don't know if they've filled it yet, they may be going a bit slow because of the school holidays with teachers being away, so don't give up hope yet.
    Mike
  13. SteveR
    SteveR
    I gave them a call yesterday afternoon before I headed out to a great vista to photograph the sunrise, yep, they've filled it already (almost straight away he said). What's more annoying though, is that they didn't even look at my application, it got 'lost in the system'... now that is upsetting.
  14. largeformat pat
    largeformat pat
    Steve,
    Sorry for the news. I applied a while ago for two seperate NSW national parks jobs. Chased the first, finally told no. Haven't heard anything from the second. 5 months ago..........
    Pat
  15. Wyno
    Wyno
    Sorry you didn't get it Steve, but I get the feeling they only advertised because they have to. I think they may have had a "mate" lined up for it.
    Whereabouts did you shoot your sunrise?
    If you're living in Geelong West, come on down to the Gordon today. It's the last day of the school holidays and it's quiet, so we could have a chat if you want. I'm in the library on the corner of Latrobe terrace and Gordon Avenue, there's a staff carpark on the corner and an entrance way into the building off that.
    Mike
  16. SteveR
    SteveR
    Thanks guys, it's a bit of a shame, I was more disappointed that my application didn't even get looked at. Mike, I had wondered if it was an internal position, but the wording made it sound like a new position they'd just introduced.

The sunrise I uploaded was from a spot along the Maribyrnong river, I'm not sure if it would be Ascot Vale, or Maribyrnong, but it's not far from the new 'Edgewater' estate. I actually (would have) liked the shot after this one a lot more, there were 6-8 hot air balloons coming up the river, then across the city. However, I must have somehow forgotten to roll that one on, and it ended up with some jetty railings from Williamstown exposed on top of it! I can still see the great river image underneath and think: "...dang."

I'm actually popping down to Geelong this afternoon to sign the lease on our place down there, I might pop over and say G'day afterwards if I get a chance. The school holidays must be a nice change of pace there?
  17. Wyno
    Wyno
    It's slooow. Way slow. I'm supposed to be on the front desk lookin' busy. I might even have to do some dusting or something. Euw.
    Mike
  18. SteveR
    SteveR
    Well, it was great to meet up with you Friday Mike!

I happened to be down in Mikes neighbourhood on Friday afternoon, so I popped in to annoy him at work and we had a good long chat, and a flick through a boxful of his prints. I had a great afternoon, and it's always so good to see another artists work 'in the flesh', it's been so long since I've done that (with another photographer at least).

So, thanks again Mike!
  19. Wyno
    Wyno
    It was good to see you too Steve. Hopefullly you'll get a job down here soon. It'd be great to go out shooting together. You always learn from other photographers, I know I have when I've been out with Gary, Shane and Peter. I would have taked for longer, except we've got a new chief librarian who is trying to put her stamp on the place and is being a bit pedantic about what we do.
    Mike
  20. SteveR
    SteveR
    "Hopefullly you'll get a job down here soon"

Yep, fingers crossed! I'm almost considering taking long service leave at half pay for the last half of the year if nothing comes up, that should give me enough cash for fuel and film :P
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin