Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,301   Online: 927

Salt

1. Ian David
    Came across this very interesting little film the other day - worth a look:

http://www.abc.net.au/arts/stories/s2855662.htm

Ian
  2. SteveR
    SteveR
    Just watched the first few minutes (on abc iView: http://www.iinet.net.au/my/media/abc/index.html ), I'll look forward to watching that this evening. I love that area out in SA (having grown up an SA sheep farm boy, I guess it's expected), I took two big(er) photographic trips last year, both out that way. I've still got a lot of films to scan and have a proper look at, just the intro to that film has definitely got me inspired to get on to it! Just the sight of those scenes made me 'home' sick, I don't know why, but that area between Coober Pedy and the Strzelecki reserve, and the Flinders Ranges are the only place I've found where I feel 'at home', even though I've only travelled through there. Genetic memory maybe?

Anyway, thanks for the post Ian, I can't wait to see the images further in the film. Although, I only watched up to where his trailer broke... I hope that's not the end of his expedition
  3. Wyno
    Wyno
    I sat up and watched it the other night. The images at the end were very good. Takes a lot of determination to ride a bloody bike out there, don't it?
    Mike
  4. SteveR
    SteveR
    Just watched it over lunch, I really love hearing someone else's account of the solitude and 'aloneness' you feel out there. I think I will have to watch this with my partner when she gets back, because I know I've never been able to explain to her in my own words why I feel the need to get away from everyone and everything for weeks at a time! Fantastic photo's too, I'm a sucker for good clouds, and boy did he manage to get some! About halfway through I thought "Yeah, but, surely there could only be so many compositions he could come up with before he just repeating himself... ...I was impressed. Thanks again Ian.
  5. Ian David
    Ian David
    No worries Steve.
    My wife is going to get a viewing of it too!
    Seeing the set of images shown at the end of the film made me think I should do more colour photography than I do...
  6. Ian David
    Ian David
    Takes a lot of determination to ride a bloody bike out there, don't it?

Yep, especially when the ground turns to mud!

I wonder how well his gear stands up to all the salt
  7. SteveR
    SteveR
    "I wonder how well his gear stands up to all the salt" I was thinking just that in one of the opening scenes of him riding out (taken from his point of view, looking at the handle bars and ground) where the salt was caking on the handle bars, I wonder if he needs a new bike each time he heads out there?!
  8. Wyno
    Wyno
    Seeing the set of images shown at the end of the film made me think I should do more colour photography than I do...

If I could afford to shoot trannies in 8x10 I would. That'd blow the socks off the digital crowd for sure. It'd make my partner happy too, she just doesn't appreciate B&W.
    Mike
  9. SteveR
    SteveR
    "...she just doesn't appreciate B&W."

Good to know I'm not alone!
  10. trotkiller
    trotkiller
    I watched this the other week, very good

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin