Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,419   Online: 1041

Lets find out who you are, and watcha got.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. drumminor2nd
    My first was the Sears (Ricoh) 500MX... just like my mom's Ricoh SLX 500. The Sears kicked the bucket, and was stripped for parts to save the Ricoh. I have a 55/2 Super Takumar and a Fujica 43-75mm zoom, as well. Not much, as most of my money has gone into my Nikons, but it still has a special place in my heart.
  2. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

Today I added another M-42 lens to the group here; a TELE-LENTAR 1:6.3 f=400mm pre-set T-mount lens with an M-42 Adapter screwed onto it. $5.00 at a local camera shop, and that included the sales tax. It looks like something from probably the 1960s or possibly into the1970s. I think that it has 4 elements in either 3 or 4 groups. It is a fairly long lens at about 15 inches long, plus the lens hood. It will be interesting to see what it does on a camera after I clean it and relubricate the focusing helicoid.

Enjoy; Ralph, Latte Land, Washington
  3. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

Sometimes you get a surprise. I was handed (no charge, for free) a VEMAR 6.3/400mm Pre-set Telephoto Lens also with the M-42 mount. This thing is almost exactly like that LENTAR 6.3/400mm telephoto lens I purchased very cheaply last month. It is obvious that they were both made by the same company, but at somewhat different times. There are some minor differences, such as the tripod mount collar, and the VEMAR does have a thoughtful mount on the focusing collar for attaching a handle convenient for focusing. But the VEMAR does have a problem. With any of the normal auto-stopdown diaphragms on our modern lenses, we do worry about them getting oil on the blades that make the diaphragm very sluggish or they do not move at all. With a pre-set diaphragm system, you normally do not worry about that, because we can supply much more torque to get the stopdown mechanism to move the blades anyway. Usually. Normally. I have found an exception.

The pre-set diaphragm on the VEMAR was truly stuck. The oil had gelled and really glued the leaves together. It would not move. Taking it apart and cleaning it really did help in this case, although reassembling the diaphragm was something of a challenge, and there are twelve leaves, so the lens opening really is close to a true circle. I do want to get this lens back into operation. It is almost done now, and if the time becomes available, it may be tested this coming weekend. Otherwise I may still be working on other projects. There is a major display to be ready for next weekend, and I really do need to have everything ready for that one. They have me on the program for the event.

4. Ray R
    Ray R
    I just inherited some miscellaneous photo gear. I was going through a box of lenses to see if there were any large aperture primes that may have value, and quickly determined the 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm primes wouldn't have much if any resale value. Then I came across a little adapter for mounting a lens to a rail and bellows system for macro photography. I also found a nice little hood for the tiny 135mm prime. Once I felt the smooth focus mechanism of the tiny 135mm -I couldn't resist it. My digital bodies are huge as are the L-series lenses. I would never take them on a vacation. But these little m42 lenses on a small Pentax could be a lot of fun for getting shots without drawing so much attention. They also would fit well in a suitcase.

Unfortunately, there was no camera among the equipment! I may pick up a Pentax spotmatic on eBay.
  5. elcabezagrande
    elcabezagrande
    I own a pair of Yashica TL Electro X bodies, one chrome, and one black. Lenses include a Yashinon DX 50/1.7, a DS-M 50/1.7, a DX 50/2, a Sears 28/2.8, a Yashikor 35/2.8, a Hanimar 135/2.8, and a Yashinon Zoom 90~190/5.6. I also have a Ricoh Singlex TLS body. I have been shooting with a TL Electro X for about twenty years now.
  6. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

A foundational truth was reinforced for me today: You are never too old to learn. In this case, it was actually something that I had incorrectly merged together in my memory from 40 years ago. So how does this apply to the M-42 lens mount system? Well, this concerns using an adapter to work with M-42 lenses on more modern SLR cameras.

Minolta made two threaded adapters for use on the Minolta SLR manual focusing cameras. One for the M-42 or Pentax threaded mount lenses, and the other for the M-39 Leica Thread Mount lenses. I had remembered that there was a warning that the lenses could be used only for close-up work. It turns out that only the M-39 LTM lenses have that limitation. The M-42 or Pentax thread mount lenses do not have that restriction; they can focus to infinity and will work normally with this adapter on a Minolta camera, including the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax AF mount, but that does take a different adapter than the one for the earlier Minolta SR mount.

I have been thinking for years now that I could not use any of the M-42 lenses here with my Minolta cameras, except for close-up work. That error has been corrected. Now I have even more lenses here that I can use with my Minolta camera bodies. While it was embarrassing to have made that mistake, it is really nice to learn that I can use all of my M-42 lenses with my Minolta cameras. It was worth it to have my mistake corrected.

7. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

Sometimes you get a surprise. Today in the mail box there appeared a cardboard box from someone I do know, but also I am very well aware that their interest in photography centers around the DSLR cameras, and not film. In part that may be a bit of the explanation for what happened.

When I opened the box, I discovered inside a Vivitar 250/SL M42 mount camera with a 1.8/50mm and a 2.8/135mm lenses along with a Vivitar 2x-1 teleconverter. The note in the box said that they wanted the camera to go to someone who still uses and appreciates film and cameras. What a surprise. Then there is also the point that I might consider taking the 250/SL to the camera guy for a CLA. From some comments, I am sure that this camera has been sitting on a shelf or in a box or in a drawer for several years now.

You never know when some nice M42 glass and equipment may appear, and from where it might come.

8. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

Things are still going here. While we did get some snow here this morning, the weather guy really is promising that we will get Spring here some time soon, and the weather and the calendar may be in synchrony again. He said that the temperatures should rise to our normal range soon instead of being 10 degrees below normal most of the time. At least there are a lot of flowers coming out of the ground to be photographed for this year.

And, the M-42 things continue to grow here also. There is another camera body in addition to the recent Vivitar 250/SL that arrived unexpectedly. This new one is a KMZ Zenit-TTL (or Zenit-12) SLR camera made in the FSU or Former Soviet Union. And there are some other lenses also, from 28mm to a Tamron 200mm to 500mm f:6.9 Zoom Lens with an early Adapt-A-Matic M-42 Mount. There is still a lot of M-42 stuff out there to be found. Just keep the eyes open.

9. DrTang
    DrTang
    I was never a M42 owner..going first to Olympus..then to Nikon when my all Olympus stuff was stolen

then.. years later...I started thinking that a screwmount camera that was auto exposure would have been kinda cool it one ever existed... and

a little research got me to a Chinon CE-3 memotron

and then after months of looking..I found one with winder, flash and about 5 lenses

so.. now I have that to play with.. all I need now would be a 24mm to make things REAL interesting
  10. dances_w_clouds
    dances_w_clouds
    I recently purchased the 44-2 58 Helios M-42 lens and I am quite happy with the results I am getting not to mention the bokeh of that lens is quite remarkable. The swirl effect adds to many of my photographs. Once I got the "feel" to operate (f stop adjustments) this lens everything turns out great. The next M-42 lens I hope to get is the Jupiter 9 (85mm f/2) but anyone who has ones has a hard time parting with it. Cheap enough on eBay but the quality of some of them can be quite questionable. But the search is always an exciting challenge at times. I have a Takumar and Super Takumar that are in my choice of lenses to use daily but I need something larger for portraits. Anyone ???
  11. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

There have been some additional things added to the growing crowd of camera equipment here.

This last weekend, there arrived here an Asahi Pentax SPOTMATIC SP with a Super-Takumar 55mm/f:2.0 lens on it, so there is another M42 body and lens here. With all of the other M42 lenses here, this is starting to grow into a useable group.

Then I also discovered that an adapter ring here is for using M42 lenses on cameras with a Pentax K mount. There is even more versatility for the M42 lenses.

12. dances_w_clouds
    dances_w_clouds
    Well my collection of M-42 lenses has expanded. I bought the Jupiter 9 and it was a great lens until the iris twisted up but I "repaired" it but now I have to shoot wide open all the time.. Oh well. The other M-42 lens I have is the Mamiya /Sekor 135 mm f/ 2.8. The image quality is surprisingly sharp. The lens is very securely built, one of the reasons I like the M-42. (I am clumsy and I drop lenses occasionally)
  13. pentaxpete
    pentaxpete
    Merry Christmas All ! Yes- I to have that M42/ k mount adapter bought cheaply in the 1980's -- now it is very expensive !! I use it with my M42 lenses on my K10D and my k mount pentaxes
  14. titrisol
    titrisol
    I do have my dad's Spotmatic, and I bought 2 more on my own. Just got a H3 at flea market.
    Have plenty of lenses....
    Spottie Spottie, spotless Spottie!
  15. Davep
    Davep
    Bought my first Pentax, a SP500 with 55 F2 in 1972.

Now have the SP500, plus a couple of Spotmatics and Spotmatic ll. Numerous Takumar lenses ranging from 35 F35, a couple of 7 & 8 element 50 F1.4's, the 55 F2 (which came with the SP500), another couple of 50/55 1.7 or 1.8's (I forget), both 135 F2.5 and a F3.5, a 200 F4, plus Sigma and Sun zoom lenses (70-210's, I forget) plus a long Bushnell 400 F5.6 (I think)
  16. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

It has been a while. There have been a few surprises in my life in the last three months, starting early in the afternoon of Sunday, 2012 October 21.

There have also been a few more things happening with the M42 lenses. Somewhere coming across the USA right now is a TAKUMAR 500mm f/4.5 telephoto lens for use on the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic, KMZ Zenit-12, Vivitar 450 SLD, and others. And you can adapt the M42 lenses to so many other camera lens mounts. My main reason for getting this TAKUMAR lens is to have something here for comparison with all of the 500mm f/8.0 mirror lenses that are around here. This particular lens has long been highly respected, and it seemed to me to be a good lens against which to make those comparisons. This will be an interesting spring and summer. I have been wanting to do this for a long time.

I wonder if the guys at Zeiss Ikon Dresden had any idea what they were starting back just before World War II when they designed the Contax-S single lens reflex camera using the pentaprism viewfinder and the slightly larger threaded M42 lens mount similar to the Ernst Leitz M39 lens mount, but just a little bit bigger to work better with the Single Lens Reflex camera geometry. Not only did they come up with the design that became the basis for the SLR camera and even the DSLR cameras of today, they also designed the most popular lens mounting system in photography for the entire 20th Century. Of course, World War II did happen, and they did not get to produce the Contax-S and make it available for sale until 1949, but still it was a pioneering camera design in the way that a collection of ideas were put together to produce the modern SLR camera as we know it today.

By the way, the threads on the M42 lens mount are not the same as on the M39 lens mount. The M42 uses a 1.0mm thread pitch 60 degree angle "V" for the threads. The M39 uses a 26 threads per inch 55 degree angle "V" for its threads. Yes, they are close, but they are not the same. The 26 threads per inch pitch 55 degree Whitworth thread is actually an old microscope ocular thread system, and Ernst Leitz for years made fine microscopes. They already had the equipment for cutting those threads, so they used that equipment for making their camera lens mountings also. Then we have the Russian "equivalent" of the M39 lens mount. The Russians really did use the 1.0 mm threads on their "M39" lens mounts that "are close," but they may not really fit properly onto a genuine Leica camera. If the Russian machining tolerances went in the right direction, then they might go onto the Leica. If they did not, it was either hard to get the Russian lenses to screw in or they would not go in at all.

There are lots of unusual and interesting things in the equipment we have in photography.

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington
  17. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

The TAKUMAR is here. It was handed to me yesterday. This is a large and impressive lens. The official nomenclature as shown on the front ring is "ASAHI OPT. CO. JAPAN Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:4.5/500." Yes, it is long and it is heavy. This is my first regular refractive element constructed 500mm telephoto lens, and it is going to be used as a "normal" type telephoto lens against which I will compare all of the 500mm/f:8 mirror telephoto lenses that are around here.

Herbert Keppler of MODERN PHOTOGRAPHY magazine and later POPULAR PHOTOGRAPHY magazine, was a proponent of the mirror or catadioptric lens construction type, and now there really is something here that can be used for a direct comparison for answering my questions about how well the two types of lenses really perform.

Then there is the well known point that the M42 mount lenses are extremely adaptable to other camera body lens mounts, and there are some of those adapters here already, including a couple for going from M42 to the Canon EOS lens mount, so this lens, and the other M42 lenses, can go onto not only the Canon Elan 35mm cameras here, but also onto the Canon EOS DSLR cameras too. The Zeiss-Ikon Dresden designed M42 lens mount from the late 1930s really is a versatile lens mounting system that still has application today.

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington
  18. pentaxpete
    pentaxpete
    Hi Ralph -- reading your stories just now I would mention that I tried to fit my Russian 500mm f8 'MTO' mirror lens onto my PENTAX K10D but it will not fit as the 'overhang' from the pentaprism-mounted built-in flash fouls it -- it would work if I fitted the PENTAX Extension tube but then lens would be only useful for close-ups.
  19. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, Pete;

Yes, there are some physical "interference fit" issues with many of the DSLR cameras out there. I have some also. Still, there is one that does not have a built-in electronic flash, so it will not be a problem with that one. However, the only way that I can get a camera lens testing system with an ultimate resolution limit exceeding 100 line pairs per millimeter is to stay with a film based system. So the difficulty with physically mounting the mirror lenses will not be a real issue for this test.

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington, USA
  20. dances_w_clouds
    dances_w_clouds
    Good day all. I have not been here in a while and I see I haven't posted my latest M-42 buy. I received the Mamiya/Sekor 135mm f/2.8 and over the last few months have been using quite regularly. Very nice looking lens as well as a very nice "swirl" bokeh that really stands out when I print the negative. I have M-42 adapters for all my cameras (4x A body Canons as well as my EOS 3). Seems like I always use the manual focus lenses 95% of the time.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin