Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,987   Online: 985

Your most recent Minolta manual purchase?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. UsedCarMaven
    HI everyone. I'm new to APUG, i just created my profile today and this is the first group I looked up.
    I've been a Minolta Maniac a while. I have numerous Minolta bodies and lenses from SRT 101 through 9xi(autofocus) and and this is my first post.

My most recent purchase is a black XD11 that should be waiting at work for me in todays mail.

I got it to go along with my chrome one that I've had for a while and been using as my carry around this week. I'll post some pics of the pair when I can.

Glad to be aboard!

-Dave
  2. donkee
    donkee
    While looking around the almost local Salvation Army store, I noticed a Minolta x-700 with the Minolta MD 35-70 3.5 sitting in a camera bag. The flash was history due to old battery leakage but the camera body and lens were mint. $25 whole dollars for it.

Nice to have a 700 again. Mine died from water damage during a basement flood years ago along with it's MD 35-70 3.5 lens. Now my Minolta collection is almost complete. I will need to get a Minolta family photo one day very soon.
  3. upnorthcyclist
    upnorthcyclist
    Congratulations! I always thought the X-700 with the 35-70 would be a great combo. I've stayed away from picking one up because the X-700 has so many accessories - I'd be chasing around after obscure cables and IR controllers and motor drives for the rest of time - I have the GAS bug something awful for arcane Minolta stuff. Awhile back, I found an Auto Electroflash 450 setup, real complete, and had to have it. Dunno what I'll ever use it for.

My last acquisition was an MC W.Rokkor-X 1:1.8 f=35mm lens - a beauty.

Mike
  4. Minolta man
    Minolta man
    I`ve just found this forum, and it looks good.
    Way back in the early 1980s I started my photo thing with X300, followed by X500 and finally an XD7. These three cameras served me well till 2007.
    In 2007 I sold everything and moved into digital, although I thoroughly enjoy my digital gear and make money, I have always regretted selling the Minolta stuff and yearn to handle one again, particularly the XD7.
    That has changed, in the last two weeks I have acquired an X300, X500 plus bless my soul, an XD7. In fact I have sent the XD7 for a full overhaul as it will be the one I will use the most. Just a thought, but how do you think my customers would react if they saw me using a film camera ?

Richard.
  5. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, Richard;

In part, it depends on the observational powers of your customers (will they even notice?), and then do they understand enough to appreciate the tonality range and resolution of the film you are using in that camera?

I do not honestly know what your customers will think. I can see a few ways they could go. One is that they might feel they have found a real true photographer. Another is that they might miss the speed and immediacy of the digital images, and besides, they are good enough for the size prints they are getting, and digital is a lot faster than film. I guess it depends on the customer. And, from the model designations you mentioned, probably you are in Europe, so I really do not know the customers.

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington
  6. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

This was one of hose things that was not expected, not intended, and it just sort of happened. It was not my fault.

I went to see my local camera tech because he had a small 110 film cartridge Asahi-Pentax "auto 110" SLR camera kit for sale. It included the three lenses and the AF100P electronic flash, but not the little Autowinder that goes on the bottom of the "auto 110." Now we come to the problem.

he had sitting on his counter top a camera that he said that he had just taken in, and he would make me a deal I could not refuse. Well, this particular pusher does know his clients very well. Yes, I walked out of his shop with not only the Asahi-Pentax "auto 110," but also with a Minolta XD-7 with an MD ROKKOR 1:1.4 f=50mm lens on it and a Minolta MD ZOOM ROKKOR 1:4.5 80-200mm zoom lens and a Minolta auto 200X electronic flash. The auto 200X does need some work in the battery compartment, because the alkaline batteries were not taken out of it before it was "stored." I actually think that it was just abandoned more than being "stored." But anyway, it is here, and it is a welcome addition to the samples of Minolta's efforts to provide good functional cameras to the photography community.

Let's see. In this last week, I think that is seven (7) camera bodies and twelve (12) lenses. I do need to find a chapter of Cameras Anonymous. I was doing so well, and then I just fell off the wagon again.

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington
  7. mincollect
    mincollect
    Ralph,

you wrote:
    "The Minolta AUTO ROKKOR-PF 1:1.4 f=58mm "normal" lens was the original lens provided with the SR-7. The standard lens for the SR-1b was the AUTO ROKKOR-PF 1:1.8 f=55mm."

What do you mean with SR-1b? The second version of SR-1 has the new clicking shutter speed dial, but is still semi auto (aperture re-opens when operating the film advance lever). To my informations, it was sold with the first version of the Auto Rokkor-PF 55mm F2, which has the long travel aperture lever, aperture lock, unevenly spaced F numbers and marked half stops. The third version of SR-1 is the same as before, but has the fully auto aperture (serials start around 122xxxx). With this came a new lens, the second version of Auto Rokkor-PF 55mm F2, which had the new short travel aperture lever, evenly spaced F numbers and the preview lever (serials start with 143xxxx). The fourth version of SR-1 had the rounded meter shoe, and was the first to be equipped with the Auto Rokkor-PF 55 F1.8 (with evenly spaced F numbers and preview lever - and yellow LV numbers, like all lenses so far). The Auto Rokkor-PF 58mm F1.4 (with yellow LV numbers) was introduced with the second version of SR-3. The Auto Rokkor-PF 55mm F1.8 and 58mm F1.4 introduced with fifth version of SR-1 (square meter shoe, CHYODA KOGAKU engraved) and first version of SR-7 (CHIYODA KOGAKU​ engraved) lacked the LV numbers.

Best regards
    Dennis.
  8. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, Dennis Lohmann;

Nice to have you active on the forum.

I need to prefix my comments with the statement that I am going mainly by memory here. My original Minolta SR-1b, along with all of my original Minolta literature, brochures, owner's manuals, et cetera, did not survive the death of a marriage

The subject of the Minolta designations for their cameras has been interesting and variable. In reference to the Minolta SR-1b, that is the designation that was on the box, the warranty card, and in the owner's manual that came with the camera that I bought from Brenner Photo in their store on E street just east of 10th Avenue and was north of the FBI Building at Pennsylvania Avenue and 10th Avenue in Washington, D. C. Later in talking with one of the sales people there, he explained that Minolta-USA when they were still at 100 Park Avenue in NYC had made reference to the different models of the cameras that could be distinguished by their external appearance when viewing them. Those that had internal changes, but no external differences, seemed to be sub-variants. In the case of the SR-1 series, I could see ten (10) different models and sub-variants, the original SR-1 with no light meter mount and the model designation engraved on the right front of the camera as you are holding it, or in front of the shutter release and film advance lever (and it was engraved CHIYODA KOGAKU on the top), and there were two sub-variants in the way that they worked, which included the addition of the improved lens diaphragm automatic stop-down and reopen, and then the reflex mirror auto-return after taking the photograph, and no longer required advancing the film to reposition the mirror for viewing through the lens. The SR-1a was the first model with the large almost square light meter mount with the two vertical holes and the two vertical chrome stripes mounted on the right front below and in front of the shutter release and the film advance lever, and they moved the SR-1 engraving over to the left front of the camera below and in front of the film rewind knob. I believe that there were two sub-variants in that model. The SR-1b was when they changed the light meter mount to the smaller rectangular block with the angular cut on the lens end to align with the lens mount and the two vertical holes for the new Cd-S light meter pins (which replaced the prior Selenium cell light meter), along with the change from the round window to the smaller rectangular window for the frame counter, and I think that this was right around the time when they changed the name engraving to the Minolta Camera Co, Ltd. on the top. I think that there were two or three sub-variants in the sR-1b model. Then the SR-1v came out at the same time as the SR-7v with the change to the rectangular black plastic viewfinder port in place of the threaded round port with the bayonet mount for the magnifier and the right-angle viewing adapter. The final one in the SR-1 series was the SR-1s around the time of the introduction of the SR-T 101 where they seemed to be using the remaining parts stock from the SR-7v to make a slightly less expensive model from those parts. It had the almost square light meter mount that was thinner than the original similar looking mount with the two chrome vertical stripes, but it had a vertical groove on the sides of the mount where a projection on the tall Cd-S light meter slid into to hold the light meter. The SR-1s also got the 1/1000th second shutter from the SR-7v, and it was engraved on the left front with SR-1s. (I have wondered if that "s" in the designation actually stood for "surplus" in recognition of the fact that they were using up the old parts stock to make this "new" model.)

Dennis, I have said that this is mainly from memory, and all of my original Minolta literature and notes are gone. OK. That is what I can recall right now of the Minolta SR-1 series of SLR cameras. You and Andrea Apra probably have catalogs and other resources which include the Minolta catalog numbers for identifying the models even more accurately.

And you do get me thinking very carefully about these things.

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington
  9. mincollect
    mincollect
    Hello Ralph,

thanks for your reply, that's an interesting discussion. I'm not at home at the moment, so I have to write it by memory, too. Let's see:

"In reference to the Minolta SR-1b, that is the designation that was on the box, the warranty card, and in the owner's manual..."

That's new to me, I never have seen this. I own manuals of each type of SR-1, and the only appendix I have seen, is the "Model V" designation. Too bad you haven't any pictures of that.

"...there were two sub-variants in the way that they worked, which included the addition of the improved lens diaphragm automatic stop-down and reopen, and then the reflex mirror auto-return after taking the photograph, and no longer required advancing the film to reposition the mirror for viewing through the lens."

Okay, you're right with the first statement regarding the diaphragm operation, but all Minolta SLRs beginning with the SR-2 had instant return mirrors. So if you have a SR-1 with a mirror, that returns only by operating the film advance lever, it's simply a mechanical failure.

So I just tell you my actual classification. I denote the several types with an appendix like SR-1.3 for 3rd type, model, generation, edition or whatever you wanna call it. I also note the order no. given in the service and part's manuals. None of these notations appear on any camera, manual, box. I just list the differences to the previous model.

SR-1.1
    July 1959, model SR
    semi auto diaphragm (re-opens when operating film advance lever)
    aperture lever with long travel
    lift-to-turn shutter speed dial
    LV marks
    instant return mirror
    round frame counter window on the left
    serial on the left
    SR-1 on the right with green color
    engraved with CHIYODA KOGAKU right side on the top
    ASA/DIN scale split for color and b/w
    lens: 55/2, LV, aperture lock, uneven F stop scale, half stops, long travel aperture lever

SR-1.2
    August 1960, model SB (released with SR-3.1)
    clicking shutter speed dial

SR-1.3
    April 1961, model SD
    fully auto diaphragm (re-opens instantly after exposure)
    lens: 55/2, LV, pre-view lever, even F stop scale, no half stops, short travel aperture lever

SR-1.4 (what you call SR-1a)
    August 1961, model SD' (released with SR-3.2)
    rounded meter shoe on the right (for the clumpsy Selenium meter)
    SR-1 on the left, still green
    lens: 55/1.8, LV, pre-view lever, even F stop scale, no half stops, short travel aperture lever

SR-1.5 (what you call SR-1b)
    July 1962, model SF (referred as New SR-1, released with SR-7.1)
    new lighter and more square shaped body
    square meter shoe on the right (for slimmer CdS meter 2)
    aperture lever with short travel
    no LV marks
    square frame counter window on the right
    serial on the back, right of view finder
    SR-1 on the left, now black
    engraved with CHIYODA KOGAKU left side on the top
    lens: 55/1.8, no LV

In July 1962 Chiyoda Kogaku Seiko, K.K. changed its name to Minolta Camera Corporation, LTD., but the first batch of about 30.000 cameras was still engraved with the old brand name.

SR-1.6
    late 1962, model SF
    engraved with MINOLTA CAMERA CO., LTD. left side on the top
    new ASA/DIN scales concentric

SR-1.7
    September 1964, model SF-B
    new styling of film advance and self timer levers

That's it. Further, we have two models of SR-1 (V) and two models of SR-1s, so all in all we count 11 models of SR-1. I'm going to set up a web site on this in the next time, including many pictures and serials and production numbers.

BTW my most recent purchase in this field was a SR-1.3 (the rarest model of all) with matching lens and manual. Interestingly the manual is the one of the SR-1.2 with a inlaying leaflet, that describes the changes to fully auto diaphragm and the new lens generation. Excellent finding!

Best regards,
    Dennis.
  10. unohuu
    unohuu
    Found a body I had sold off years ago - X-570 and I still have the 100 f/2.5 and the 50 f/1.4 so I am good to go. Maybe a WA in the future, but these two are a good start
  11. upnorthcyclist
    upnorthcyclist
    Hi unohoo,

You've got a great start on a nice kit. Minolta made a lot of nice f=35mm 1:2.8 lenses - they aren't particularly expensive as they are very common. Keep an eye on flea-bay or KEH for a deal. I really like the XD-11/35mm (MD gen II) combo - nice all-round setup.

Mike
  12. unohuu
    unohuu
    I also have an MD 50mm f/1.4 and a 28 f/3.5. Would love to stumble on that 85mm f/1.7 that I traded off a few years ago.
  13. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, Unohuu;

Nice to see you back.

Unfortunately, that Minolta AUTO-ROKKOR 1:1.7 f=85mm may be a bit more expensive now than you remember. The f:2.0 versions come up more often and much more reasonably.

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington
  14. sillytotoro
    sillytotoro
    Not really a purchase, I was given late last year from a friend who was unloading a Minolta X-700 with MD ZOOM 35-70 f/3.5 lens and MD 50mm f/1.7 lens. But I purchased 3 additional lenses in early spring for this camera: MD Rokkor-X 35mm f/2.8, MC Rokkor-SI f28mm f/2.5 and MD Rokkor 20mm f/2.8 lenses all from KEH which I enjoy, though I tend to use mostly the 35mm. Really happy with it.
  15. Silvertooth
    Silvertooth
    Woo Hoo!! Minolta body number two has joined the family. I just received a Minolta SRT-102 from KEH. All I need to do is order a battery to get the meter working and break it in. I think I will just use the meter in the X-700 until the battery arrives. Got to love mechanical cameras!!
  16. upnorthcyclist
    upnorthcyclist
    Hi Silvertooth,

The SRT-102 was my first "real" camera, purchased in the Vietnam era. Splendid choice, and, to me, the very best of the venerable SRT series.

If you are not going to have the camera recalibrated to a modern battery, I would suggest getting the C.R.I.S. MR-9 mercury battery adapter. They are pricey, around 35 bucks or so, but they allow the use of a modern battery, which lasts nearly forever in this camera, just like the mercury batteries used to - plus are available everywhere.

Have fun!

Mike
  17. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning;

Nice to see SilverTooth, UpNorthCyclist, and others are still here.

Lots of things happening out here. Number One Son will be coming back to the good ol' U. S. of A. bringing his family with him. The Cessna C-172 still wants some attention at times. Then for No. 1 Son and family, now there is a motor home RV for them to use and live in while here. That was cheaper, faster, and a lot more convenient than trying to put an addition onto the house.

Also the Minolta Family has grown. I was surprised. I did not know know this model existed. Now there is a Minolta X-9, a very late design manually focusing lens SLR camera with the Minolta SR-MC lens mount. The manual does say that you can use the ROKKOR MD lenses on it, but do not lock it on the minimum lens aperture (you set the aperture), so it does know about the latest ROKKOR MD lens series. It has a microprocessor Aperture Priority (AP) shutter speed control system for the cloth focal plane shutter that runs from 1/1000 to 4 seconds, along with a fully manual mode also, and it is operated with two S-76 or similar batteries in the bottom. The lens mount is metal, but the main body casting is a plastic box. It both looks and feels plastic. What has surprised me is that it actually works pretty well. I know that I have been talking about Minolta using plastic in many of their cameras to get the weight down and to reduce the mass to improve the auto focus speed in their AF cameras, but this is a manually focusing camera. For the weight conscious, it tips the scales at 490 grams or 17.3 ounces. I am impressed with how this little camera works. If you come across one, you might consider it as a possible addition to your camera bag.

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington
  18. Silvertooth
    Silvertooth
    Hello Mike, Ralph, and everyone else!

I have not had much time to use the SRT-102 as of yet. It is loaded with a nice roll of Adox CMS 20 and a battery. There are a few observations I have made in the limited time I have used the camera:

1) It has a wonderful sound;
    2) The film advance lever is soooo smooth;
    3) It is heavy but very comfortable to hold;
    4) Compared to the X-700, the viewfinder is very, very dark.

So far so good. I am waiting for some sunshine on a weekend. It has been cloudy and overcast lately on the Gulf Coast of Texas. Shoot, it rained with freezing temperatures one day. We closed the schools and everything else! We don't do Winter very well in this part of the state. I should have used the T-Max 100 for the first roll.

Y'all have a great evening!
    Aubrey
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin