Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,604   Online: 1118

New to Film: X-700

1. 51D7H3K1D
    Hello MMF fans,
    I'm new to film photography and excited to learn! I bought an X-700 at a yard sale yesterday that came with the 50mm kit lens as well as two Quantaray zoom lenses, a 75-200mm and a 28-80mm (both of which supposedly have Macro settings?) and are labeled MC and Auto Zoom (a feature I'm sure doesn't work with the x-700). I got it this sweet old camera for one dollar per millimeter! $35
    I guess I wont know If I really got a deal until I get some results back though! I'm shooting through a old color roll of film today just to play with the settings and lenses and see how it goes but I plan on shooting B&W so that I can develop it myself in my school's darkroom.

Any tips or tricks for an eager newby would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
  2. Silvertooth
    Silvertooth
    Welcome to the wonderful world of analog photography and Minolta! It is a great place to be! The X-700 is a wonderful camera. I can't speak for the Q lenses, however. I never had good luck with the ones I've tried, but others may have had a better experience. I would stick to Rokkor glass--it is some of the best you can get.

Aubrey
  3. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, 51D7H3K1D;

Congratulations on the Minolta X-700. That camera had a production run that was just over 20 years, and that is a remarkable thing for any film camera. That production run is also the best indicator I can offer on how well received the X-700 was in the photography community. It is probably the most versatile camera the Minolta produced. There are many accessories in the MPS system, and the selection of ROKKOR lenses available, that made it capable of doing almost anything you can imagine. I like mine, and I have used it for things from microphotography to astrophotography. As I said, it is a very versatile camera. And, for my hands, with the MD-1 Motor Drive on it, it just fits my hands perfectly. Everything is right where my fingers expect to find them.

And, the X-700 is the only Minolta camera that truly can use the Minolta ROKKOR MD lenses. No other camera in the group besides the X-700 can really take any true advantage of what made the MD lenses distinctive from all prior lenses. While the MD lenses will fit onto just about all of the Minolta SLR cameras back to the SR-2 and the SR-1, and they will work on all of the manual focusing Minolta SLR cameras, the X-700 is the only one with the "P" or Program mode that works with what those MD lenses do. The XD-11 came close, but the X-700 is the only one that really does it and actually uses the MD feature.

One aspect of the X-700 is that Program mode, and it also affected the design of the display inside the viewfinder. The X-700 viewfinder display is unique to the X-700, because it is the only Minolta camera with that "P" or Program mode. The only thing that might be unusual, and the reason why so many people say that they prefer the display of the Minolta X-570 or the X-370, is that those other displays work in the way that people are expecting them to work, but the X-570 and X-370 do not have the capability to work with the "P" mode, and those cameras do not have the "P" mode. And, for people who are trying to use the Minolta X-700 in any other mode beside the "P" mode (M, A, or S), all you need to do is to actually remember the shutter speed that you set on the shutter speed dial. That is not really very hard to do, and for years we successfully took photographs that way. Don't worry if the TTL light meter is telling you that it may be suggesting that you use a slightly different shutter speed, if you already know that the shutter speed you set is the one you want for the photograph you are trying to take. If you know that the camera settings you have chosen are appropriate for the lighting, and for the photograph you want to take, go ahead. You are still the photographer, although the light meter in the camera is making what it feels is the best suggestion to you that it can make.

And, the X-700 also is one camera where you can put the camera into that "P" or Program mode, put the AutoWinder-G or the MD-1 Motor Drive on the bottom of the X-700, fit a Tamron or Vivitar Auto Focusing lens onto the front of it, and you will have a true Point-and-Shoot 35mm film camera.

You already have comments from Aubrey about the Minolta ROrKKOR glass or lenses. I cannot say that I have had poor use from my Quantaray lenses. So far they have worked well for me, but I do admit that most of mine are also zoom lenses, and I do not use zoom lenses very often.

Also, welcome to the group.

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin