Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,824   Online: 983

Am I 'Hogging' the uploads ?

1. pentaxpete
    I seem to be the ONLY Group member uploading anything here -- why do not MORE of you put some on ? Surely there must be more of you doing 'Monochrome' photos -- and it is the SAME in the other Groups I have joined on this site -- nobody seem to be taking any PHOTOS lately -- just talking about it !
  2. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, Pete;

It is time that I said something.

When we look at the results posted so far, yes, we can say that you are "hogging" the photographic uploads, but then, you are the only one providing any photographs. This is not a bad thing. Nice to see that someone is.

One of the ironic difficulties with this system is that, while we have a liking for using film, in order to share what we have done with our film and perhaps our prints from that film, we need to convert it from the original "analogue form" into the more "modern" digital form which can then be sent over the internet to APUG and to share with other people who also like film. Yes, I agree that this is a little weird, but that seems to be what needs to be done.

To this end, I am still working on getting a system set up to do this kind of thing here. I do develop my own black and white film, up to 4 by 5. Then for the purpose of scanning film and making files for printing or sending off to APUG and other places on the Internet, there is a Nikon CoolScan LS-9000ED film scanner here that will do up to 6 x 9 medium format negatives. I did look at something for scanning 4 by 5, but that seems to take going up to something like the Hasselblad FX1 drum film scanner, and right now they have increased in price up to $16,000 USD. I like my film stuff, and I do have a lot invested in it, as shown by the reports of what has been purchased in recent years, but it is not yet easy to consider purchasing a film scanner for what a small car will cost today, although I will admit that the vendor did say that at their price, the shipping was free. Anyway, now there is also the point that a new computer system dedicated to only digital photographic image file processing, without any connection to the Internet, is next on the list, and it will be a lot less expensive than the Nikon 9000ED was. But then I will need to load Adobe PhotoShop Creative Suite 4 onto it along with all of the other programs and drivers for use with the film scanner. This in itself is a significant task.

So, Pete, yes, right now you are the main provider of the photographs we have seen. One of the reasons may very well be that we have not yet caught up with you in terms of the equipment and things needed to be able to do what you are doing right now. Please give us some time.

Enjoy; Ralph, Latte Land, Washington

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin