Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,970   Online: 1008

Filters for mono -- or do it on the PC?

1. Jon404
    Will be taking photos soon on B/W film with an old Nikon FG, and then having hi-res scans made from the negatives, for later PC digital 'developing.'

Now, I know that I'll need a polarizing filter -- you'd go crazy trying to knock out reflections in Photoshop. And, I'll be using an ND filter to cut down overly-bright light, or to help with creative blurs.

But what I don't know is whether to use old-style green, yellow, orange, and red filters on camera -- or to try to simulate them later on the PC. If that is even possible -- I guess, in Photoshop, that I could lighten a particular level of gray, but that's different than using a glass filter, isn't it?

Filters -- glass or digital -- any opinions?
  2. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning again, Jon;

Filters? I like doing it on the lens and at the time that I am there taking the photograph. Yes, you can simulate many filter effects in PhotoShop, but I still feel that I have more control with it when I do it with a filter in front of the lens. Then, as you pointed out, there is no equivalent for a polarizing filter.

To me it still seems to be better to record what I am trying to get at that time, than to spend the hours you can sitting in front of a computer trying to get it to do what what have taken me just a moment by putting on the filter needed at the time of exposure.

Yes, I do have "photographic image editing programs" here, starting at Adobe PhotoShop Elements II, and going to Adobe PhotoShop Creative Suite IV.

Enjoy; Ralph, Latte Land, Washington
  3. kintatsu
    kintatsu
    I know this is too late for your use, but it may help someone.

Trying to simulate filters in Photoshop with a B&W image to start requires only using dodging and burning tools. As there is no color, the color adjustments normally available aren't there. Use the real filter, it's easier, quicker, and gives far better results. Even shooting digital, I find using the actual filter gives better results, especially the #8.

Best of luck!
  4. pkaren62
    pkaren62
    Way, way too late for your post, but for anyone else who comes by...

I use on-lens in part because I develop my prints analog (ie in a darkroom).

I have various resin Lee filters and am very happy with them - I've avoided getting the glass ones because they're very expensive, I can't trust myself not to drop one and as a landscape photographer my bag sometimes ends up getting a little bash which doesn't bother the resin filters but would break the glass ones (my filters live in the outside pocket in a multi-filter pouch since there's no room in the main compartment).

There are a number of other good makes like B&W which are not as expensive.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin