Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,370   Online: 727

Olympus 28mm 3.5 Lens hood on a Olympus 28mm 2.0 Lens

1. Rob OM
    Goodday,

Like the title says? Will this fit?

A Olympus 28mm 3.5 lens hood on a Olympus 28mm 2.0 Lens, is this a match or not?

• both are 49mm thread
    • both are 28mm i.e. same angle of view

According to my information, the 28mm 3.5 and 2.8 use the same lenshood, but the 28mm 2.0 has a different one.

Rob
  2. Allan Swindles
    Allan Swindles
    I think you might get vignetting when used beyond f2.8, but are you ever going to use f2.0 when you're in need of a hood?
  3. mopar_guy
    mopar_guy
    Rob,
    The 28mm f3.5 lens had an accessory metal hood.
    The 28mm f 2.8 came with a rubber hood. At least the 28mm f2.8 that I bought new in 1985 had one included in the package.
    Both of the slower lenses used screw on hoods, and I would think that they could be used interchangeably.
    I believe that you are right that the 28mm f2.0 had a different hood (even though it also has 49mm filter threads).

Dave
  4. mopar_guy
    mopar_guy
  5. Rob OM
    Rob OM
    Well the lens hood should arrive in the beginning of next week.

If someone could kind enough to post the outer diameter and height of the lens hood of a 28mm 2.0 then I can compare it with the 28mm 3.5 diameter and height. Because I have the feeling the might be the same, except for the fancy writing on the side of the hood.
  6. Ron O
    Ron O
    Happen to have all three. They are slightly different in diameter. The 3.5 and 2.0 are metal the 2.8 is rubber. The diameter of the rubber shade is misleading as it is thicker walled than the metal hoods. They are all the same depth. Just received the 2.0 with in the last week and a 28mm f2.0 lens to go with it. Whether the different diameters would make a difference on the lenses I am not sure. But the 2.0 hood is significantly wider so my guess would be that trying a 3.5 hood on the 2.0 lens might cause a little vignetting. Would it be noticeable? Won't guess. Anyone have thoughts on how to best test?

28mm 3.5 dia 70mm

28mm 2.8 dia 73mm

28mm 2.0 dia 77mm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin