Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,538   Online: 1389

Might buy an OM4, advice and lens suggestions

1. vysk
    I might buy an OM4, and am looking for advice and lens suggestions.

1. should I get the "T" instead?
    2. what if it is the older PCB, is the battery drain issue a deal-breaker?
    3. what lenses? I have a line on a 100mm f2 Zuiko. Not cheap, but looks to be a winner. How good is this lens?
    4. any other recommendations for good lenses? I hear that any of the f2 lenses are really good.

regards
    Vick
  2. Allan Swindles
    Allan Swindles
    Hi vysk,
    1. Buy a T (Ti in UK)
    2. Yes
    3. 100mm is my favoured focal length, I use the 100/2.8 and it's good enough for me (I also use Hasselblad and Rolleiflex medium format).
    4. Can't comment - but you need to start somewhere, do you really need f2? As to quality, it depends on what you expect and what you want to do with your pictures.

Regards - Allan S.
  3. wblynch
    wblynch
    I would go for the camera in the best condition for the price. Meaning I would rather have a perfect condition OM-4 than a ratted out OM-4T/ti.

You can take the batteries out between uses. I do that for my OM-2SP, OM-PC and OM-4T just to be safe. Just be gentle with the battery cover and don't crank it down so tight. Easy to avoid gouges.

I leave these cameras in Manual "B" mode so that if I do pick them up it will be immediately obvious they were stored with no batteries.
  4. thuggins
    thuggins
    If you can get the titanium version, go for it; you know you'll get the updated electronics. Otherwise check by turning it to Battery Check. IIRC the beep should end after about 30 seconds. The lens selection depends entirely on what sort of shooting you do. My 100mm has never been used and likely never will be. Are you a portrait shooter? As for your last question, there is no such thing as a bad Zuiko. Specific suggestions depend on what you will be shooting.
  5. Allan Swindles
    Allan Swindles
    Well there you have it thuggins, it depends on what you want to photograph, the 100mm is not just a portrait lens, it's superb for general use, which it is why it always commands a relatively high price. But as we both say, it depends on what you shoot.
  6. av2000
    av2000
    Definitely get the T.

I always carry the
    21/3.5 Zuiko, the
    50/1.4, the
    85/2 and a
    135/2.8.

Rarely, I carry a
    28/2.8 or the
    180/2.8 (the 180/2.8's image quality fascinates me every time, but it's very bulky and not practical to carry around.)

If you're into b/w and use filters, it's really nice to use the 21/3.5, the 50, the 85 and the 135/3.5 instead of the 2.8 due to all of the former ones having a 49 mm filter thread diameter. The 135/2.8 needs dia 55 mm filters.
  7. Jon202
    Jon202
    Hi Vick, agree with the earlier post. Get a mint om4 and remove the batteries when you've done for the day. Best lens is the one you've got on the camera, but a good selection would be 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and the 135mm. If you can afford the faster versions so much the better, if not don't worry Zuikos are the dogs bollocks the slower versions limit you're opportunities in reduced light, nothing else. Be aware though that the digi guys have cottoned on to the quality and have driven prices skyhigh especially for the more exotic glass. At current prices you're looking at well in excess of £1,000 for those listed by av2000. Whereas a more straightforward kit could be had for about £150 or so - assuming you go for slower versions of these lenses. Best Jon
  8. kestersonn
    kestersonn
    I agree, get the best camera for the best deal. If you can afford an OM-4T(i), then you're buying younger electronics, which will more likely give you a longer run before it craps out. I bought a near-mint OM-4 for $100 USD a few years ago. The Ti's were going for 3x that at the time. Mine has a little drain issue, but not as bad as my OM-2s. If I forget and leave the battery in and not put it on manual 60, it will last about 3 months. I buy batteries in bulk so I always keep several in my Olympus bag, just like I bring extra film. It's just a habit and part of the process.

I shoot with many different cameras, so I'm not relying on the OM everyday. If I were, I would just count on changing batteries more often and move on. I shoot on other cameras that totally rely on batteries, such as Canon T-90, NIkon F4s, Pentax K20D DSLR, etc. I'm always changing or charging batteries on those. I have to charge my iPhone almost every day. I have to replace the batteries in my smoke alarms twice a year. I have 14 remote controls that always need batteries. My profession as an audio engineer has me changing batteries in portable recorders and wireless mics several times a day. We're always changing and charging. I think the fact that the old OM-4s draining batteries is over-hyped in today's world. Most people had a problem with it back then because the OM-4 was different than its predecessors, when we weren't yet accustomed to having to re-charge everything. Yes it was an electrical design flaw that they eventually fixed. But look at the rest of the camera - it was a ground-breaking work of art. The moral of the story is we live in a charged world. We're used to battery drain. Accept it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin