Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,417   Online: 742

Keeping it simple

1. MJFerron
    Picked up my beautiful OM1-n from a co-worker along with a 28 3.5 and a 50mm 1.8 all in superb condition. Then of course I needed a portrait lens so I picked up a 100 2.8 then a 28 2.8 for speed then a 24 2.8 in case I need to go wider then 28 then a 35-70 so I don't need to change lenses, then my OM2n for A priority.

So I recently reprint a shot I made with the OM1 and 28 3.5 and wonder why I need anything more than the original body and the 3.5. It made a perfectly detailed 8x10 (I never push 35mm beyond that size) I'm going back to the original setup along with the 100 2.8. Don't need anymore than that. Too many choices. Choice for me get in the way of creativity.

OK I'm done with my rant.
  2. George S.
    George S.
    Sounds like a good plan, MJ! Don't know if you are selling off the others, but I'm in the market for a 24/2.8. If you are selling off, why not keep the 35-70 'just-in case' to cover the "normal" range?
  3. MJFerron
    MJFerron
    Well it's over on the big auction site as we speak. Probably won't sell for a lot. Oly stuff is almost given away these days. Great for buyers but not for sellers.
  4. mopar_guy
    mopar_guy
    I find that sometimes I need a lens with more speed, and f3.5 or f2.8 doesn't cut the mustard. I have used my 50mm f1.4 wide open. Ditto for the 100mm f2.0, 85mm f2.0 and 35mm f2.0. At one time, I used more 400 speed films, but now I tend to use more that are 100 ISO or slower. With a slow film, it's nice to have all the speed you can get.

I have lenses that I almost never use, but I will never sell them.

Dave
  5. George S.
    George S.
    Dave, you bring up a couple of good points that made me think... I too, am now using more 100 ISO and leaving the 400 to mostly "snapshot shooting". I too, have a few lenses that I look at and say- "MMmmm... should I sell this one that I haven't used in a while?" But then I think of the (sometimes) crapshoot of buying on eBay and worry that if I sell something and then down the road I realize I made a mistake, I'll never get a replacement in as nice condition.

Having said that, I do think of selling a couple of spare OM bodies that I obtained in a package deal with a lens or two that I needed. I'd much rather see the bodies exercised by someone than for me to never use them.
  6. mopar_guy
    mopar_guy
    I bought my first camera (OM-2S Program) when I was just out of college in the mid-1980's. It sometimes seems that I have been trying to put together my "dream" outfit for 25 years (well it has been 25 years). I own a 500mm Zuiko reflex lens that I bought new over 20 years ago. I probably paid over $400 for that lens and I have used it for less than five rolls of film. I am sure that the 500mm sat unused for over 10 years until last February, I used it to get some shots of some bald eagles that were a few miles from where I live (one of these shots is on the gallery for this group). Sometimes it is necessary to have an ultrawide or a supertele lens. Over 90% of the time I use three lenses, and that is ok, but there is no workaround for trying to use a lens that won't do the job. You just miss the shot or get unusable results.

Is it expensive to have a 21mm f 2.0 Zuiko that I rarely use? Yes, but I can live with that.

Dave
  7. MJFerron
    MJFerron
    Yeah fast is cool. The 50 1.8 gives me most of what i need in that dept. Wide angle I'm usually at f11 hyperfocused and on a tripod if needed. Not knockin' anyone else btw. Just trying to simplify my life. LOL
  8. mopar_guy
    mopar_guy
    There's nothing wrong with simplifying your kit. Many very famous photographers have made great photos with very little equipment. I just like to have a lot of toys sitting around.
  9. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I agree with you, MJ: keep it simple! I classify my lenses according to use. My 24mm f2.8 is my landscape lens which I set to f8 or f11 to get adequate depth-of-field. Either 28mm (i.e. f3.5 or f2.8) would do just as well. I doubt you will ever notice a difference in the prints taken with either of these lenses, provided you are in the f8-f11 range. I also carry a 50mm f1.8. It's significantly different e.g. I use it if I want to soften the background (i.e. put more emphasis on the subject (usually people)). That's it, normally. My 85mm f2 is my portrait lens. It's good for completely losing the background and isolating head and shoulders, while allowing you to stay within good talking distance of your subject...but I only take it if I know I'm going to take some portraits. In the range 35-70mm you can use a 50mm lens and simply step forwards or backwards so a zoom is not necessary. I often find I end up with a better shot if I move around a bit.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin