Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,312   Online: 729

How do you get your SL66 on a tripod and which do you use?

1. Slixtiesix
    Hi everyone,
    I bought a Manfrotto 475B recently and it seems sturdy enough for the camera. Still searching for the right head. I have noticed that the connection between camera and head is a weak point and wonder how others solved the problem. I have also acquired the Rollei quick release but still wonder if it is optimal concerning the stability. Quick and easy to use it is
    whatīs your tripod setup?
  2. Merlin
    Merlin
    I have a Manfrotto 410 geared head, with a fairly large ground plate. Concerning stability, I have no problems at all. Itīs very sturdy. When you have a large ground plate, the ground plate is overlapping the back. So the only setback is that the back wonīt go off. I always change the insert, not the back, so for me thatīs not a drawback.
  3. archphoto
    archphoto
    Manfrotto 055XDB with the Manfrotto 410 geared head now a day's, before I used a Gitzo Studex Performance with the heaviest 3 way head Linhof ever build.
    De Gitzo is used for my Sinar P2 4x5/8x10 inch now.

Peter
  4. john_s
    john_s
    Although the Rollei quick release works well, I don't use it for two reasons:

1. The centre of gravity is high and although this wouldn't matter on some tripod heads, I prefer to use a ball head and it makes it less stable while the ball is being adjusted.

2. With the Rollei QR on a tripod, you can't use any other camera.

My solution is to use RRS plates and clamp release. Since they don't make a plate for the SL66 I used one with a ridge that worked ok except it prevented the lens fall to be used. And that's why I have an SL66 in the first place! So I filed some bits out of a different RSS plate. It allows full lens fall, and gives a low centre of gravity. I will try to attach some photos.

[edit] no luck withh attaching photos. PM me if you're interested.
  5. kuri
    kuri
    I've been using a Berlebach tripod on my SL66 but the ballhead I was using up until now ceased its functions ..
    So I'm looking for a nice 3-way head and I have been eyeballing with the Cullmann Magnesit 40300. Not too pricey and an OK device from what I see.
    Though I am still open for other recommendations.

Cheers
  6. Morry Katz
    Morry Katz
    My SL66E rides on a Manfrotto 310 geared head atop a Manfrotto 055PROB. It's stable, compact and light enough to carry.
    If i"m moving the camera bag, it rides on a small, collapsible equipment cart. I'm too old to carry it very far.
    Cheers
    Morry Katz - Lethbridge, Alberta
  7. robertjonesphoto
    robertjonesphoto
    I think the original question addressed that the tripod mounting hole on an SL-66 is wider than the standard hole. You'll have to buy an adapter ring to thread it to a standard tripod. A camera shop worth its salt will carry one of these. Then, I'd use a big study Manfrotto, with a video head, which is what I use.
  8. Slixtiesix
    Slixtiesix
    Hi Robert,

What I originally meant was that the camera always started to losen after a while on my old head, while operating it (focussing, winding the film ... okay, my old head wasnīt suiteable for such a big camera at all). I have now bought a Gitzo G1570m and it is fantastic. It has a huge rubber covered camera plate which covers the whole bottom of the SL66. Rock steady. Iīll post some pictures as soon as I got the time...

Greetz, Benjamin
  9. k.hendrik
    k.hendrik
    Manfrotto 028B + 808RC4 head: but mostly I use this set up for my RZ67 with motordrive+prismfinder and the SL66SE in my hand
  10. whlogan
    whlogan
    Morry, I thought we never got too old to carry an SL66.I'm sure not. At least not yet, anyway!

Logan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin