Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,190   Online: 1032

Anybody that has bought from overseas (via Ebay, B&H etc), how much does it cost?

1. Ricus.stormfire
    Hi folks

I was wondering, how much does it cost to buy stuff from overseas, duties, taxes etc... is it worth while?
  2. Ricus.stormfire
    Ricus.stormfire
    Seriously? anybody?

I am trying to figure out if it would make more sense to buy a certain piece of equipment from say the US, since the prices are better for that than in SA.... but there are duties and taxes (and shipping) to pay, right? Well how much is that? I have no idea.
  3. Janko
    Janko
    Hey dude,

Buying from overseas is totally worth it, you can get amazing deals, and often material you can't find here in South-Africa.
    e-bay is reliable, and has lots of good security. I struggle to pay with paypal on ebay though, but with a creditcard it's as easy as 1-2-3.

One of my friends builds his own guitars, and other than wood, he buys everything else from the U.S.A. to Japan, to anywhere else. Never has any trouble, only thing is, that if you choose free shipping(which ebay offers for most items) the shipping time can take up to two months, however, depending on the product, you can pay for speedy delivery and if it's not heavy, it's cheap.

Give it a shot.

Janko
  4. Ricus.stormfire
    Ricus.stormfire
    Ok, thanks Janko, Tax and duties on items, is that a major issue/cost? (I have no idea).... welcome to the group by the way.
  5. Janko
    Janko
    I don't think you get taxed after payment, most items you buy online are tax included, on ebay you mostly buy second hand, which doens't have taxes.
    Shipping was free when I bought clothes(or included in the price) and I didn't have to pay at collection.

Janko

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin