Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,670   Online: 811

Many lurkers. Come out from behind those trees!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Ralph Javins
    Good morning, guys;

Andrew, welcome to the USPNWRWOI&STBSJ forum. Nice way to get into film. I am impressed. My own start was with just a Yashica Lynx-1000 rangefinder 35mm camera. You will have no need to "upgrade" your equipment.

Robert, your Isuzu (Eee-swooo?)* Rodeo could use some more exercise. Take it out and let it run for a while. The 1991 Subaru Legacy station wagon here rolled 350,000 miles on it while on the way out to the airport on Tuesday morning two weeks ago in Portland. And, there have been several times when I have noticed that I was more involved in taking photographs of the scenes and places where I was instead of just enjoying being there. I am trying to make a more concerted effort to resist allowing my photographic interests turning my trips to visit places for enjoyment, into a photographic assignment.

Enjoy; Ralph, Latte Land, Washington

* That's OK, kid. I can't say "Shev-er-ray."
  2. Curt
    Curt
    My dad was killed in a cessna 172. He was a flight instructor and lived aviation, he died for it too. He had a restored Bobcat and several others.
  3. flatulent1
    flatulent1
    You want an intro? Okay, here goes.
    I got my feet wet 25 years ago using a T90, which is just as well; if it'd been a sawzall I suppose I would have been electrocuted...
    Studied photography at the UW for a year before I lost my funding, fell absolutely in love with darkroom work.
    Since then my creative interest has oscillated between photography and playing the trumpet. As a result of a botched bit of brain surgery eight years ago I can no longer play the trumpet.
    My usual format is 35mm, with only occasional forays into MF. Still shooting a T90; in recent years I've added a 645 Pro TL, 1V, an RTS-III and an XD-11, amongst others.

It's hard to say what kind of photography I prefer, as I've never been disciplined enough to stay to one path. I can say with certainty that I do not shoot sports, children or animals (my own cat excepted). I also don't photograph UFOs or movie stars. I enjoy nature walks, city walks, local tourism, and early mornings. I would like to venture into studio/product photography and the world of macro. And when I get my space ship working I'm going to go out and take some of the most awesome photos of Saturn that anybody's ever seen.

Ah, I see signatures don't exist here.

Fred Latchaw
    Seattle
  4. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, Fred;

Welcome to the group, again. And, due in great part to your economic activity with Matt King, we may have a small USPNWRWOI&STBSoJ group gathering at Kenmore Camera, or across the street at the Tully's coffee shop, if Bob Donovan complains about us cluttering up his store. We will be watching to see when this will actually happen, but we do know that it is coming. I am trying to get Matt to encourage DancesWithClouds to come down also on that day.

Enjoy;

Ralph, Latte Land, Washington
  5. mopar_guy
    mopar_guy
    Ralph,
    I was just at Kenmore Camera a couple of days ago. I bought some Ilford paper and a few packs of chems for some darkroom work. It would be a possibility I could come to a gathering.

Dave
  6. flatulent1
    flatulent1
    My 'economic activity'... We're not smuggling stuff across the border, he's bringing a camera over to avoid the usual three month delay when sending things by post. But yes, I'm game for a meeting. I'd rather make it in Tully's if there's going to be more than a few of us. I've been in KC when it was reasonably full of people; it's no joke trying to move around in there when there's 20 or more people standing around jabbering.
  7. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, Fred, et al;

The response to the idea of a small gathering at or near Kenmore Camera at 67th Avenue NE and NE 181st Street near the north end of Lake Washington northeast of Seattle is surprising. This could be fun. Now we need to wait until Fred and Matt reveal when they are really going to do it. The thought of needing to move across the street to Tully's Coffee at 67th Avenue NE and SR-522 (a very short block there) because of the possible number of people who may appear would be worthy of a report to the USPNWRWOI&StBSoJ. Let's see what happens.

If nothing else, we know that we have the longest group name of all of the groups and forums on APUG.

Enjoy;

8. mopar_guy
    mopar_guy
    Sometimes there aren't a lot of free parking spaces at Kenmore Camera.
  9. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, Dave;

Yes, sir, that is true. The parking at Kenmore Camera is limited, but it is one of the better facilities in that realm of all of the camera shops in the Seattle area. Then we do have the very large shopping center just to the north across NE 181st Street, so if there really is a problem with the volume of people and vehicles coming to Bob Donovan's Kenmore Camera, it can be handled. Oh, it would be so nice to have that kind of a problem. At least we can suggest that the people coming to Kenmore Camera for this activity could park across the street to leave space for the normal shopping traffic at the store. Then there is the point that some of us could also be buying things while we are there.

Anyway, I did not select it as a venue for a gathering. This started out as a simple place for two APUG people to meet and make an exchange, and one of them would be able to see the toys at Kenmore Camera. When a few of us heard about the meeting, and the people involved, we asked if we could come also, and pointed out that there is the Tullys coffee shop right near by. It seems to be growing from there. I am not sure that we are really prepared for the success.

Enjoy;

10. Robert Brummitt
    Robert Brummitt
    Morning all.
    Looks like we have another member. That makes 113 in all. Another lurker in the the forest. Welcome, Andrew. Feel free to write or post anything on the site. Don't be shy like the many other purists out here.
  11. dotyj
    dotyj
    This is an old thread and I'm new here.

I took two photography classes in the late 70s in high school and two photography classes in the mid 90s in college. Then didn't stay involved.

Last year I bought an old Canon DSLR and enough accessories to more than fill a large camera bag and got back in to the swing of things. But it just didn't feel the same as film. Oh sure it's fun, it's convenient, and it's quick, but I was missing getting my hands wet.

Over the last five months I've dug out my old film tanks, borrowed and purchased film changing bags, bought chemicals and assorted containers and funnels, purchased two of those USB negative cameras to transfer film to computer, bought a flat bed scanner to scan film and bought a consumer level photo inkjet printer.

I completely fell of the cliff and have purchased many old film cameras, and some not so old because they appeal to me. I already owned perhaps five film cameras I'd collected over the years but I felt I needed the others to play with and learn from.

I now shoot film from 16mm (Minolta format) to 620 film. I shoot both black & white and color film. I do all my own film processing in my kitchen. Though i wouldn't mind setting up a true darkroom I don't have the space to do so.

I try to shoot a roll of film a week. Though I haven't found any color 35mm film in bulk I buy my 35mm film in bulk and have 50, 100, 200, and 400 ISO film in bulk loaders and half a dozen re-usable cassettes on hand.

I wasn't kidding when I said I jumped off the cliff. I have 35 film cameras to play with now. There are still a few I want but not many. Currently my favorite camera is a Smena from 1956. I love using that camera.

I have no illusions of ever becoming a great photographer. I do have a flickr page under my call sign of KI7EL for anyone who wants to look at it but this is strictly a hobby for me.

I've played with processing film in caffenol. The results when I get it right are amazing. I have a roll of film in my Smena waiting on the kitchen table to be processed. i'm considering using caffenol today, though I may process it traditionally, I haven't decided yet.

It only occurred to me this morning to look for an analog photography "support" group and this is the first site I found. What an interesting group of people.

Since cars were discussed here, my first car was a 1975 Ford Econoline that I bought in 1979. I drove that van for 17 years. Since then I've had two other Ford vans. I rolled the last one back in May or so of 2012 and replaced it with a 1986 Dodge Caravan which I lovingly call Redicuvan because it has chrome exhaust running along the drivers side and the sliding door was converted to a gull wing.
  12. mopar_guy
    mopar_guy
    It's great to hear from someone new! It sounds like you have the common photographic ailment known as GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

This particular "group" is perhaps less of a group, and more of a loose collection of Individuals.

Oh, signatures don't work here. As I mentioned earlier, my name is Dave.
  13. dotyj
    dotyj
    Then I must have a bad case of GAS Dave. I won a bid today on eBay for a Diana F+ with flash. I'm looking forward to receiving it.

On the up side I think I'm all but done collecting cameras.

I had fun over the weekend processing some ISO 200 110 film and a roll of ISO 100 black & white in Caffenol. My Caffenol negatives came out too dark. Perhaps I over processed them.

My name is James.
  14. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, James;

Also, welcome to the group.

Please be very careful when making statements such as; "On the up side I think I'm all but done collecting cameras."

You will see that many have commented on how powerful a force G. A. S. can be. I too have made such statements. As just the most recent example, yesterday there was handed to me an early Nikon F camera with an early serial number to be run through a CLA and repair and then be put into "The 1960s Nikon Project" as part of an example of the equipment that a professional or advanced amateur photographer might have carried in their bag back in that time period. I already had a Black Body Nikon F in the Project collection, but not one with the most appropriate serial number for that time period. Now I do.

See how easy it is to rationalize "just one more body" or "just one more lens" or "but I didn't have that accessory" when discussing your addiction in among a group of other truly understanding people you will find in any chapter of Cameras Anonymous?

Me? What do I have? Well, it is simpler to say that they range from 16mm and 110 cartridge film up through 4 by 5, and includes all of the relatively popular film formats between. A few years back, when people heard a little about what I had then, often they would say something like; "Oh, you must be a collector." But I would deny that saying; "No, I am just a very well equipped photographer." Then when I realized what was gathering around me, I had to admit that, yes, the label of "collector" really did apply to me. Then came the slow creeping dawning on me that there is another level not often discussed among camera people, probably due to the expected shame associated with it, and that is the next level known as "addiction." Yes, I am an addict. But, but, there is hope. There has been progress. While I do admit that I did get yet another Nikon F body just yesterday, that was the first camera all this month. (I think.) No longer do I have three or four orders coming from KEH each month. Yes, there really is progress in recovery, but it is still an uphill battle. "Keep Comin' Back"

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington
  15. mopar_guy
    mopar_guy
    Ralph,
    I am not a "collector" and I am not an "addict". I am a hoarder.
  16. dotyj
    dotyj
    So Ralph, you're saying this is less of a support group and more of a group with an illness who claim they can stop any time.

I right now have 34 cameras from Minolta Mini 16 film to 620 film. Many Smenas and just about any old camera that I find appealing.

I have a few digital cameras including a Canon 300D which I love but it's the film cameras I keep going to.

In fact I just won a bid this morning for an old Regula King KG, it looked interesting with its extinction meter, I'd not seen one before. Plus I'm meeting a friend on Saturday to go to a gun show and he's got an Olympus Trip to give me.

And here I was thinking I was slowing down.

I took some photos of Redicuvan yesterday using my Kodak Signet 40, I'll post a link once I process and scan the film.

Work calls. Gotta go.
  17. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, Dave and James;

James, of course it is possible to stop at any time. I have demonstrated this ability many times. And the Minolta cameras here are about three (3) times the number you mentioned. And just to show that this is a true problem, the LOMO Smena-8M is one camera to be found for the "Significant Historical Cameras for Their Effect on Photography" Section here. The specific subsection is the camera that made 35mm film the most popular in a country among the people there. The argus C3 did that here. As you can tell, that camera may not be what most people would consider to be the most technically advanced camera, but it was the camera that most people used with 35mm film. Usually these were rather simple but durable cameras. So, yes, I am still working on yet "just one more" camera here.

Dave, regardless of what title you may choose for yourself, you are welcome here.

And, at the very least, some of us can serve as examples of what it can be like, so you can point to us and say to the significant woman in your life; "See, look at what HE has. All of my stuff together is just on those three shelves [or something similar]." All of us can serve as examples. Some of us to be emulated. Some of us to be avoided. The main thing is to be the best example you can, regardless of which division you choose.

However, recently in a moment of pure unadulterated inspiration, I realized that what is here really can form the basis for a book. See, what all of this really is forms the main body of my "research."

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington
  18. dotyj
    dotyj
    The Smena is a fantastic Soviet Union era camera. I have the following Smena cameras:
    Smena
    Smena 2
    Smena 3
    Smena 35
    Smena 4
    Smena M
    Smena 6
    Smena 8M
    Smena 9
    Smena Symbol

I have a Smena 5 on the way. Like I said earlier the Smena is my favorite of the batch. I tried to use my Smena 3 the other day but the film advance shaft is too short for modern film cassettes and I couldn't get it to work. I read that the Smena 3 wasn't a very good design and wasn't around for very long.

I try to not buy cameras but sometimes they just "speak" to me. Like the King Regula KG I just bought. I'd never seen an extinction meter before (Not even heard of them) and I just had to have it.

If nothing else I have enough cameras to throw a great camera outing with others. Randomly assign cameras and films to myself and guests, pick a location and let people loose, spend the end of the day processing film and scan them to computer to do a great slideshow of the day's events.

There are some cameras that I actually want that I don't have yet. One type is outside my price range though. I'd love a 120 size full function TLR.
  19. dotyj
    dotyj
    Hi all:

No I'm no professional and I have lots to learn, but I thought I'd post a link to Redicuvan so you'd all know why I call it that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ki7el/s...7633407117978/

I strongly suspect I like collecting cameras and processing film more than I like actually taking photos.

Some of these were taken from a kit TLR using Caffenol, some from a Smena using black and white film and others using a Kodak Signet 40 with color film.
  20. Ralph Javins
    Ralph Javins
    Good morning, James;

There are some alternatives to "a 120 size full function TLR" besides the Franke & Heidecke Rollieflex, and that includes the Minolta Autocord and the Yashica Yashicamat. But, there are still other choices with even interchangeable lenses, such as the Mamiya C3, C330, and others.

There are lots of things out there that we can play with.

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin