Zeiss Super Ikonta IV - Poor film advance.
Just took my Super Ikonta out for a spin. Everything seemed to work all right but, after developing the film, I discovered that it doesn't advance the film properly.
All the frames are bunched up and overlap by about 1/8 to 1/4 inch on each end.
There was about 8 inches of unexposed film at the end of the roll.
Now, I know that I probably didn't load the film right. I didn't notice the white lines at the right end of the film gate when I loaded so I wound the arrows on the film leader until they came to the leading edge of the gate. I guess that is where about a frame and a half of film got chopped off at the beginning. That'll account for how much film? 3 or 4 inches?
My Yashica leaves about a 3/8 inch gap between frames. I figure 12 times 0.375 in. (3/8") comes to 4.5 in. If I include my screw-up, that puts me in the ballpark, anyway.
So, do you think I did anything else to screw up loading the camera or is there something wrong with the frame advance knob or the film counter linkage?
I read that there is a difference in the thickness of film that was produced in the 1940's and 1950's as compared to what is made today. That might account for SOME of the difference but not all.
I also read that old Ikontas often have problems with film advance. Is this true?j
What is the nature of this problem?
Is this something that's repairable by a reasonably skilled person working at home or is it strictly something an experienced repair man should do?
Yes, I know... There are two kinds of people who would take apart an antique pocket watch: Watchmakers and fools. ;)
Let's frame the question this way: On a scale of 1 to 5, how difficult is it?
(1 meaning "easy" and 5 meaning "don't try this at home.")
To be honest, I'm probably going to send this camera in to be worked on by a pro. The thing is in almost "line new" condition. But for the selenium cell, it could easily rate a "4" out of "5." I'm not hip on taking apart a vintage camera that, properly cared for, could be worth more than $500.
(Yes, yes! I know it's hard to put values on vintage cameras. It's hyperbole, referring to the fact that this is a somewhat rare, vintage camera in really good condition and I don't want to f*** it up.)
I don't have a lot of money to spend and I want to maximize my repair budget by fixing minor problems at home if it is possible. That's all. :)