New batch of paper emulsion -- it gets better!
Well, i'm really pumped now!
Monday morning I made another batch of paper emulsion; same formula as previously made. This time I filtered the sea salt using a buchner funnel and filter flask. I should have mentioned in my other post that i cool my emulsion in a shallow pyrex baking dish as suggested by Mark Osterman.
Tuesday morning i finished it with the digestion stage but added no more ingredients (alcohol, photo flo, and chrome alum in my formula) and chilled it once more in the fridge. I split the batch in half and added finals. I substituted isopropyl alcohol for rum.
:p gonna use the rum as an internal body lotion :p
My coating workflow is getting a little better. I modified my blade to hold enough emulsion to coat a strip 6 x 22 in., which is cut from a standard 22 x 30 sheet. That gives me fifteen 5 x 7's (in a perfect world) allowing for a little waste on the edges.
All in all, the coating session went well. Until I decided to add rice starch for a matte finish. The starch made the emulsion so lumpy I couldn't even filter it. Need to work on that I guess. I managed one strip however with starch.
This morning was trimming and testing time.
Wow, wow, wow. I tested the matte version and it looks wonderful. Better contrast, brighter whites, and if it has Fairy Dust (hi Denise), my fairy is really a stingy little B---h.
One interesting observation. As I processed several prints, I noticed the developer is almost completely repelled by the emulsion. In fact I had to hold it under with my fingers until the slight curl disappeared. The effect continued in the citric stop, and plain hypo fix to a lesser degree. I mean, i could see the emulsion was saturated with chems, but it came out of each bath like it was almost dry. :confused: After an hour wash in running tap, the water ran off pretty fast. I attribute this to the isopropyl alcohol. Hopefully PE will enlighten me on this, but I think is works great.
When I get a chance I might scan some test prints.