</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dentan @ May 1 2003, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Thank you dnmilikan and all others who have been kind enough to reply.

I agree with you in that split grade printing gives better prints, not only from under- or overexposed negs.

When saying I let the high contrast exposure time be the determining factor for my low values, do you mean that you use the ”highlights time” also for the dark areas (I have tried this but the other way around, i e the ”dark” time also for the highlights, but altogether it resulted in too much light)? </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
What I meant to indicate, and probably not as effectively as I might have, was that the first exposure is with the soft contrast and the second exposure by the hard contrast. These exposure times would have been determined by test strips on two prior pieces of paper. The first test strip is to determine only high value exposure and the second test strip is to determine shadow exposure on a second piece of paper which also has the initial soft contrast exposure. In other words this is a method of printing which has two separate exposures the soft contrast for high values and the second exposure for shadow values. These are cumulative.

My focus has always been to get the high values by exposure and the low values by contrast or in the case of split grade exposure the second hard contrast exposure. I hope that I have explained myself here. If you have further questions please feel free to voice them. Good luck.