Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
After mentioning in various threads that 5x4 (or 4x5) enlargers are being given away in the US but command high prices in the UK, I now have one which didn't really cost me any money.

In return for a few spare pieces I had for Mamiya TLRs, I got a Devere 54 with cold cathode light source. I just paid for the postage.

It has been taken apart and delivered in four boxes so I will have a go at putting it back together tonight.

It has been said that the light from the cold cathode source is fairly blue and can be a problem with variable contrast filters so I am planning on building an LED light source for this. I have the PCB from an LED stage light which is fitted with red, green and blue LEDs which I think will work quite well.

Steve.

Nice going Steve, it can be hard, depending on location, to get something like an enlarger. The vast majority who live near big cities, I believe, take it for granted that they can get one but those in more rural areas find it more difficult.

When you make your LED light source send me a note if possible on your approach to the construction of it. I'd like to make a head for my Durst which is sitting outside the darkroom without one. I use a Beseler 45 right now.

I hope you can get it put back together, it's going to be like a holiday working on it and the excitement of the first print, it's all fun.

Regards,
Curt