I have a polariod filter for the 7II that flips up so you can view through the view finder and also get the normal scene reading through the lens, via the in camera meter. But I have never seen or heard of a compensating ring? Do you mean the little dial that lets you change fron + to - exposure? It might even be helpful if you could show me a pic of it. Actually the only spot you could use a digital pic is to show something in this instance so dont be afraid.