My wife and I will be in the SE parts of NZ for 10 days in July - Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill, and a day on the Tranz-Alpine. Don't tell me to cancel and come back in February; I have no choice. I am interested in the opinions of locals and experienced travellers to these parts on what the light conditions are like at that time, and how they will influence my lens choice. The aim is to get the greatest functionality with the least bulk and weight. My bodies will be Nikon F3HP and FE2, and I will mostly be using Legacy Pro 400 (Neopan), and some Ektar 100. I have some choice on lenses and I have a slight dilemma about whether I need the largest aperture I have available or can afford to sacrifice aperture a bit for the sake of lower bulk/weight. In particular:
a) CV Ultron 40/2 vs Nikkor 35/1.4 - one stop advantage to the Nikkor but Ultron is much smaller.
b) Nikkor 50/1.4 vs CV Nokton 58/1.4 - no aperture difference, Nikkor is slightly smaller, Nokton is much newer. Or I could choose the Nikkor 55/1.2, which is a big piece of glass.
c) CV Color-Heliar 75/2.5 vs Nikkor AF 85/1.8 - slight aperture advantage to the Nikkor but significant size/weight advantage to the Color-Heliar. And Nikkor is an AF lens so manual focus is a bit loosey goosey.
d) Nikon Series E 100/2.8 vs Micro Nikkor AF 105/2.8. Better quality glass in 105, but big weight and bulk penalty. This focal length is likely to be least used, but 105 has close focus ability if needed.

Cheers, Peter.