I was idly doing a search on GOOGLE looking for references to Photographic Emulsions when I found several items that classed Cyanotype and other Alternate photographic systems as "Photographic Emulsions".

I feel it necessary to dispel those myths or misstatements.

See my definitions thread first then consider this....

A photographic EMULSION is the suspension of Silver Halide in Gelatin. As an example, CYANOTYPE is a clear solution of several chemicals in water with no gelatin. Gelatin can be added to aid in coating, but is not necessary. In current photo systems, gelatin or substitutes are needed components.

It is clear to me that the people using the terms are not clear on the correct usage.