</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (David Hall @ May 3 2003, 09:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

It also sounds like split developing really is just for graded papers, and split grade printing is better and more controllable and less subtle for VC papers, right?

dgh </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
I do use two bath development when I split grade print although when I use it is dependent on the exact tonality I require in the print that I&#39;m making. If I can&#39;t achieve the exact contrast I visualise with single bath developer and split grade printing I introduce other controls and one of them is two bath development. It may also be water bath development or flashing or even a combination of several different techniques.

Sometimes I start making a print on VC using split grade but decide to change to graded and use water bath or hard and soft developers. I guess that what I&#39;m saying is to know what you want on the paper before you make a test strip and use whatever techniques are available to get the print you see in your minds eye.