Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
A quick update....

I've built a plate holder and the GP-2 chemicals are on the way. Should be making my attempts soon.

But in the interim, I've been thinking a bit about interference photography like this. I recently discovered what dichroic filters are; interference filters! Call me ignorant, but I'm new to this..

So, we all know that the Lippmann photograph records colors in the same manner, by microscopic interference (iridescence) patterns in the emulsion, but it results in an image only viewable by reflection, not transmission. I'm struggling to understand why there can't be a transmission Lippmann photograph; essentially making a "dynamic" dichroic filter that relates to the colors of the image, in other words, an interference photograph that's viewable by transmission. Imagine a picture made in this way.... I would have to think it would be incredible.

Any thoughts? What conditions would have to be present for this to work?

*edit* Here's a resource I haven't seen before, might have some useful info for those interested http://books.google.com/books?id=1J0...chrome&f=false

I'm not clear on how they were projecting the Lippmann images, but I think you came across Lippmann projector made by Zeiss.

It would be interesting to know if they were reflecting light off the plate or transmitting light thru the plate in these projectors. American Amateur Photographer ( Vol 10 - 1898 ) has several articles about Lippmann color images being projected at various lectures.

Hope you are successful with your Lippmann Images.