Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
I recently discovered what dichroic filters are; interference filters! Call me ignorant, but I'm new to this..

So, we all know that the Lippmann photograph records colors in the same manner, by microscopic interference (iridescence) patterns in the emulsion, but it results in an image only viewable by reflection, not transmission. I'm struggling to understand why there can't be a transmission Lippmann photograph; essentially making a "dynamic" dichroic filter that relates to the colors of the image, in other words, an interference photograph that's viewable by transmission. Imagine a picture made in this way.... I would have to think it would be incredible.

Any thoughts? What conditions would have to be present for this to work?

I guess there could be a transmission image. Lippmann and others observed that highly efficient photographs (particularly those recorded on dichromated gelatin and dichromated albumine) actually do reveal the complementary colors. The image then has to be viewed in a "transmission mode".

You might have heard also about the MICRO-DISPERSION METHOD (see for example Friedman's History of Color Photography, p.25 - http://www.archive.org/stream/histor...erich_djvu.txt)

As for interference filters, I believe there have been attempts making them by means of Lippmann photography. Nowadays, this can be done with holography in a much easier way.