Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
Ray Rogers, the link didn't work? The link basically goes to the last relevant page, you need to go back several chapters for the goods. There's some really good stuff in there. Apparently, in theory, a Lippmann should transmit the complementary colors of what it reflects. R Shaffer, do you notice this at all in your examples?
I guess the problem is a "holographic" one. In order to get those complementary colors the recording medium needs to have high index modulation (without making it overly complicated, it means a very thin recording layer can produce high diffraction efficiency).

Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
Also, it says that pictures made w/o the mercury reflector are "necessarily dull".
That's exactly the point. Speaking of holography (my main area of interest) again, more precisely of the making of a reflection hologram, there's a correlation between the beam ratio (the beam hitting the plate directly and the one from the rear side) and diffraction efficiency. In order to get high modulation the beam ratio ideally has to be 1:1. Obviously, in the Lippmann case without a mercury (or alike) reflector this is difficult to achieve.

In practice, I've seen the complementary color thing in holography only on one home made silver halide emulsion that had quite a high amount of silver. That would make sense, given the high refractive index of silver bromide.
With high index modulation recording materials like DCG (dichromated gelatin etc.) however, that effect can be achieved pretty easily.