Quote Originally Posted by zumbido View Post
Friend, let me give you an honestly well-meant tip for life:

The ignorant should not condescend to people who know something about the subject at hand.

I'm pretty sure I've never been in a Ritz, but I do have advanced degrees in the software arena and write digital camera firmware for fun in my spare time (when I'm not printing images from my Diacord in the bathroom with homebrew developers).

Please explain to me what the meaningful difference is between storing a latent image by accumulating electrons in silicon as opposed to silver?

I'll refrain from adding an ad-hominem here, as appealing as it is given your obdurate obscurantism... whoops, there I went.
Not impressed; I hold a doctorate.

Now, on to your invalid question; invalid because it presupposes that which has not been established and which in fact is not true.

You ask: “Please explain to me what the meaningful difference is between storing a latent image by accumulating electrons in silicon as opposed to silver?”

Your question presupposes that the electrons form an image, and that the image is “stored”. Both claims are patently false. THERE IS NO IMAGE THERE! AND NO IMAGE IS “STORED” THERE! (adding “latent” does nothing to make the string of 1s and 0s an image).

So to answer your question ... The meaningful difference is that the silver in the film forms a physical, actual, visible, tangible, discernible image (I'm looking at some right now). The electrons in a digital sensor do not form any image whatsoever at any time; rather, they form only a computer file comprised of a string of millions (or is it billions Mr. Advanced Degree?) of 1s and 0s. That’s not an image.

Sorry.

Mr. Advanced Degree.

:rolleyes:

PS. If the computer file comprised of 1s and 0s that is generated by a digicamera is an "image", as you say, why don't you just go scan one of those "images" right now and upload it for us to see? Oh, what's that? You have to first have computer software "read" the 1s and 0s in the computer file and have the software create an image? But I thought the computer file itself was an image?