THANK YOU LES McLean!!!

I read your cool article on two bath deveolpment and tried it. Although I am still waiting for them to dry, I know I have better results than I had the other day with a monobath developer. Here is my story. I keep an old Yashica TLR in the Jeep. I was at a boyscout camporee and I shot 2 rolls of film in terrible conditions. Shadowed faces, bright sunlight at mid day with single coated optics. So I used my split D23 to develop the film which does several things. It compensates for the high contrast, creates very good accutance and offers very smooth grain. The down side is that the negatives have poor overall contrast. Local contrast is very good and images appear very sharp!. So I spent yesterday trying to make these images that were interesting but flat look good. No Joy on all senarios!. So today I mixed up some D-65 (photoformulary Glycin - Ansco 130 like developer) Normal mix is 1A:1B:5water for fiber. I mixed the hard bath at 1:1:3 and the soft bath at 1:1:8. 1:1:7 is recommended for RC. I followed your instructions and I really see a sparkle. I will be spending some time with this now. I used grade 3 paper - I may be inspired now to try some grade 4!

I also have been comparing three different papers I have been using. Ilford Galarie Multibroam, Forte Forteza and Cachet RF - All in grade 3 with the same negs and developer. The Cachet is a little thinner and on drying it tends to wrinkle a little more. Being only available in glossy, it has a pretty high luster even when not ferrotyped. I have never been good at getting a great fiber glossy finish. The Ilford seemed almost a full f-stop faster than both the others and so-far seems to have the richest blacks in the glycin developer. The Forte and the Ilford seem a little harder than the Cachet. All seem pretty good - I still think I favor the Forte. I might change my mind though.