David, the thin frames from the exhibition are interesting - for whatever reason I have tended to go for larger examples, either wider or deeper...

How thick are everyones mats ? (I referred to 'mattes' earlier, too involved in film/vfx to notice the distinction) - I use the standard depth, bevel cut at 45deg as the cutter is a CNC machine that only does that angle but I have seen examples at a deeper pitch. I remember seeing photographic dealers with kind of flip books of very thick mats in which photographs can be placed for viewing. My partner whose parents have worked in framing for decades says 'thick mats are very 80's/90's'.

I see some people have opted to reveal the mask of their own prints and others have left the mat to do the crop - big decision there (?).

Also lighting, a lot of halogens going on - at my work (theatre and venues in general) we have these very small profile lamps that can be shaped into trapezoidal shapes and then focused to a have a softer falloff (the Brit trapezoid mind, which is the US Trapezium :rolleyes. If you use two or three per image then shadows aren't too much of an issue - with the localised contrast they really make an presentation pop (we usually always light the complete frame). A bit of moderate diffusion in front is nice and can provide are more general wash still with the relevant hot spots, the amount of diff dials it in...