Hi all,

So today I bought a Durst 305 colour enlarger from a reputable 2nd hand dealer.

I brought it home with great excitement, but when I plugged it in, the transformer (Durst EST 305) blew, making a popping sound and giving forth copious, smelly (and doubtless toxic) smoke.

However, until I killed the power, despite the smoke-billowing transformer, the enlarger lamp was still shining, so it wasn't a total failure.

Now, obviously I could take the whole thing back to the dealer and get a refund, but I'm quite taken with the idea of using this little enlarger, and I'm wondering if it might be feasible to repair the power supply or else replace it with something else. I imagine that any transformer which will give a 12V, 100W output would be okay, however I'm a bit puzzled by this power supply. It appears to give both a 12V and an 11V output on different pins of the 7-pin connector.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of issue, and advice on whether it would be worth returning vs keeping the enlarger? I'd really appreciate constructive input.