</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ed Sukach @ May 4 2003, 04:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>>>>> the manufacturers of film, paper, and chemicals used in "small lab" work use "strict tempertaure control" as a sort of safety valve, so that *any* unexplained results can be attributed to "improper temperatue control".<<<<<<

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
Uh...hate to disagree here, but time & temp (outside of pH, sp. gravity etc) are probably the most important controls in any processing. Any result--good or bad--comes from time & temp in processing. Personally I wouldn&#39;t take my film to any lab not running control strips or concerned with temp control. Just about every bad thing that has ever happened on our E6 machine has come from a water temp problem....same is true for the b&w deeptank and the Ilford paper processor...so I just don&#39;t get it here? You&#39;re gonna set up a lab--but you&#39;re not going to run control strips or try to meet the manufacturer&#39;s specs? If something happens to your film, you&#39;ll have nowhere to look for help, if you don&#39;t attempt to run a process as close to the manfacturer&#39;s standards....the "safety valve" is the range either side of the aims for the control strips. When you move beyond those limits, you start running into problems whether you immediately see it with your eyeballs or not. You might never even notice them in a small set-up--you probably never would have to even worry, but the minute you start trying to trouble shoot or get help from the tech support--they&#39;re gonna ask you about your process control, and you won&#39;t get but so far without them....if you&#39;re only running your own film, then maybe it&#39;s good enough for you? If you&#39;re setting up a commercial lab, you better make sure you figure all this out before running your customer&#39;s film, though, because they&#39;re not likely to be as forgiving if & when something goes wrong. Even if it&#39;s not your fault, everyone blames the lab.

KT