Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
Francesco, the issue isn't width, it is how the holder is held to the camera. The Premo 12 accepts holders with thin lips on each side that fit into grooves on each side of the camera's back. The AAR doesn't have the lips, must be held in place by a spring loaded focusing panel.

Simple test. If the Premoette's focusing panel slides out, you can use an AAR on it. If the Premoette's focusing panel is permanently attached by two springs then you can't.
I hear what you're saying about how the AAR is intended to be held to the camera via spring loaded back but that does not mean that its the only way to attach it to the camera. Its like anything else, with a little ingenuity you can make many things that don't seemingly fit work quite well. Now I've personally seen roll a film holders that was basically clones of the AAR fit into the backs of a camera with very similar construction to the Premoette Jr. by sliding into the back of the camera exactly where the pack film was intended to go. I briefly met a guy who worked in a camera shop in Ohio a few years back who pulled this off with a larger variation of the Premo series (maybe the senior model, it was bigger then the Jr.). This would all be a lot easier if I actually knew the guy and could contact him to ask him how he did it. Anyway, the camera was larger then the Premoete Jr. and I believe he actually used the 4x5 AAR but it fit. He did need to remove the back door of the camera as with the AAR attached it of course did not close. For all I know he may have modified the AAR as well. Now I have no idea if or how he modified the camera to ensure that focusing was correct and that the camera was light tight but it did work by sliding into the back (and was not held in place by tension springs or a focusing back) and it took great pictures.

Now I understand he used a different camera and I believe a different size (and possibly modified) AAR all with different dimensions but what I do know is that the camera was of the same make and overall design (all Kodak Premo-series cameras were basically the same design just different sizes and dimensions) and he made this work. Remembering seeing this done is what started me on this idea with the Premoette Jr. in the first place. So we do know that although the AAR is designed to operate and be held in place a certain way that is not the only way that it can work. This entire discussion is about making something work in a way that it was not intended to and its based on past evidence that similar components of the same make can indeed operate outside of how they were designed so lets not work ourselves into a box. Its an experiment so we need to think outside of the intended operation of the components we're working with and if it works it works and if it doesn't it doesn't but after the fact at least we would have tried, learned, and we would know for sure.

I hope I don't sound snappy because I've learned a lot from materials that you've produced and I appreciate that but the point is that the original design intentions of the AAR (or anything else for that matter within the realm of experimentation) don't matter. Until I can find a 2x3 AAR I'll be replacing the bellows and cleaning up the camera and I'll probably set it up with some sheet film so I can shoot with it but if I do find the AAR I'll at least be able to let you and anyone else curious about this know if it works without excessive modification or not. I'll probably stop there because like I said I have no intention to chop up the Premoette Jr (unless I find a junker to experiment on).