I made a rollfilm paper camera a few years back; it got "lost" during a camera swap; it's probably still sitting in the "black hole of Chicago" (inside joke).
It used a 4" wide strip of paper, made by slicing 8"x10" sheets lengthwise and taping them together on the reverse side using painter's masking tape (3/4" wide, doesn't rip the paper when releasing the tape).
The camera used spools made from 4" PVC pipe, so that the bend radius was large enough that there wasn't significant curling issues with the paper. There were flanges on the upper and lower ends of each spool, keeping the paper from falling off the spools; these were made from thin sheet aluminum. The spools were held together, with their flanges, using pieces of threaded rod and lock nuts; which also afforded the opportunity to extend the threaded rods through the top of the camera and attach them to their respective knobs. The bottom ends of the threaded rods sat in oversized nuts, glued to the camera's floor, acting as crude bushings, keeping the spools in position but permitting them to freely turn.
Measuring film advance was a problem. I ended up rolling a strip of thin black paper along with the photo paper, and used large squares of masking tape on the reverse side of the black paper with each frame number clearly printed in large font using a marker pen; a red viewing window in the back of the camera permitted me to view the frame numbers as they rolled by. The number are positioned such that they are centered on where you want the exposed image to be located on each section of the paper strip. For this camera I had two 4"x4' square format images on each 4"x10" section of paper. It's important to ensure that the actual paper doesn't get exposed to light, even through the red filter, which will fog the paper, even though it's filtered. Ask me how I know! Therefore the viewing window looks into a narrow square tunnel whose inside end rubs up against the paper backing strip, ensuring no light leaks around to the front side to fog the photo paper.
For the viewing filter itself I purchased a used 25a deep red filter from my local camera store.
There was also a locking mechanism on each spool's knob, permitting the paper to be tensed tightly once in position; otherwise the paper's stiffness can cause one or both reels to back-roll, giving you a sloppy film plane and/or overlapped images.
I don't have images of this camera, alas. But I had also envisioned a larger version using an 8" wide strip of paper, made from taping 8"x10" sheets together. I didn't pursue this idea, however, because the concept of the falling plate camera struck me, since which I've made three versions. I'll post some on these cameras later.
Last edited by Joe VanCleave; 07-19-2010 at 10:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.