</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DKT @ May 6 2003, 06:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ed Sukach @ May 4 2003, 04:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>>>>> the manufacturers of film, paper, and chemicals used in "small lab" work use "strict tempertaure control" as a sort of safety valve, so that *any* unexplained results can be attributed to "improper temperatue control".<<<<<<

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
Uh...hate to disagree here, but time & temp (outside of pH, sp. gravity etc) are probably the most important controls in any processing. Any result--good or bad--comes from time & temp in processing. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
Wow&#33; I could quote you entire reply. Let me try to simplify somewhat.

1. Time and temperature certaily are important. What I said was that there is a greater latitude - more "forgiveness of errors" in color processing that commonly thought. I have been *meticulous* in following manufacturers specifications, and there are - inevetiably - amounts of variation in the results that apear to be random and beyond control - but, in any case not *significant* enough to deter me from continuing.

2. "Any result -- good or bad -- comes from time and temperature in processing." It is easy to disagree here. Very *bad* results can be attributed to chemical contamination, improper sequencing (try pouring in the fixer *before* the developer), dropping the loaded tank on the floor and having it pop open ... someone opening the door to the lab while you are loading the film...

3. Where did I say that I did not do control strips? True, I only rarely do "clip tests" on film - I haven&#39;t found them to be worth the effort ... but I *always* do "test strips" when I print color. *NOT* doing test strips would not be worth the additional effort.

4. "If I move beyond those limits..." ?? I don&#39;t .. not intentionally.

5. "Whether I see it with my own eyeballs or not..." I use a color densitometer all the time. The **final** judgement DOES come from my "eyeballs". See also "aesthetics."

6. "Everyone blames the lab." Not from my experience in teaching. Usually the emerging photographer will blame themselves, the film, the camera... the phase of the moon. I spend a lot of time trying to teach students to identify lousy processing.

I hope this clarifies my last post.