While I agree with pushing 35 mm one will stress the possibilities of making a good print.
If the body of work is strong it will over come any obstacles.

I visited the George Eastman House where there was a major Salgado show and yes you are right the prints may have been too large, but it was very easy to get past this fact and view a wonderful body of work.

That day I saw some people standing in front of photographs and crying with emotion over what they were viewing.

The moment you stop fretting about making a perfect print and start telling a story that you can tell with your camera is a turning point.
I know many technicians with tens of thousands of hours practicing who cannot create great art with a camera, I in fact am probably one of them.
I also know photographers who have never made a print but have a wonderful story to tell and have work in Museum's.

Rock , Paper Scissors

A good story trumps technical excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
Hmm...
Visit a Salgado exhibition, and you'll notice that it's best not to look at the photos from too near. Obviously a photographer who decided that control of grain, sharpness etc. isn't the most important thing to spend time on.

I agree though.
It's a very old thing, i know, but they say that rules are best mastered, and then forgotten.
As long as you keep focussing on technique, you'll never get round to doing the things you need that technique for.