Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
Yes, it is quite a step too.

One of the things that becomes a struggle is that many of the critics around you (mostly other photographers) will be looking at your application of technical skills and rules. Most are studying your craftsmanship/technique, not your art. They will no longer be your audience.

Sharpness, lack of grain, perfect exposure, rule of thirds, blah, blah, blah...

Even in this thread you can see it in Salgado getting picked on for grain and sharpness.

The feedback you get will change markedly when you cross the line and start breaking rules.

Just remember Salgado is a success regardless of what we think of his style or choices.
Interesting points, I'm always looking to keep grain to a minimum, I don't like it in my own work neven when I shoot 35mm.

But I mentioned Salgado because having seen quite a bit of his work, in a Solo exhibition and other major shows, think that he's a photographer who's image making is based on a good use of craft so that despite being 35mm the works well even quite large. I guess I also put the type of work Sagado shoots in context with the work of others working in that sector.

To me Salgado's images hold up well individually but together as a body of work become even stronger (as Bob Carnie says as well).

About 20 years ago I saw a major Exhibition of Don McCullin's work at the RPS Gallery in Bath (UK). 2 photographers were nit-picking very close up about the technique & quality of the images, they didn't care at all that the images were of staving Biafran's or dead and wounded soldiers, they were emotionally dead as humans.

Ian