Cock the film advance lever. Hold it against the stop, momentarily. Slowly let the lever return home.
You'll hear a series of faint clicks as the mechanism inside moves. (It's the sound of a tiny pawl riding over the teeth in a cog inside the bottom of the camera.)

When the lever gets half or two-thirds of the way home, you'll hear a louder click. That's the sound of the shutter being set. When you hear that sound, stop. Gently try to move the lever back to the right, as if cocking it again. It should not go. If it does, go ahead and release the lever. You should be ready to fire the next shot. If not, release the lever and try again.

This trick might work about half the time. If you work the mechanism a few dozen times, you might find it to become more reliable.

My Pentax ME Super, bought at a rummage sale, had a similar problem to yours. You would advance the film but the shutter wouldn't set. If you pressed the shutter button nothing happened. You could cock the shutter release over and over but it would "catch" only about 1/3 of the time. The "slow return" trick I detailed above allowed it to work correctly 9 out of 10 times.

Exercising the mechanism proved to be the solution. (At least a temporary solution.) It seems that sitting on a shelf, the camera's mechanism got sticky. Operating it many times in succession seemed to loosen it up.

I would suggest trying to exercise the mechanism IF everything else seems to be okay. It might get the camera back into operation, at least long enough for you to decide whether you like it.

The true solution is to send the camera in for cleaning and repair... Cleaning-Lubrication-Adjustment (AKA: "CLA.")

However, I sense that you just want to try the camera out for a while to see whether you like it. That's why I mention the temporary, home remedy. It might work. It might not. It depends on what's wrong with the camera. It is my guess that sitting for a long time caused the mechanism to get sticky or sloppy.

My camera now works 99% of the time. I know it needs a CLA but I am going to use it for the rest of the summer as-is. When the weather closes in for the winter, I'll send it in for repair.

The way I see it, you've got everything to gain and nothing to lose.
If you get the camera working, you're golden. If you don't, no skin off your nose. Right?
Try to get it working at home. If you can, use it for a while. Send it in for repair when you're ready.