I had the opportunity to photograph for the day at Dry Falls State Park in central Washington. This was about a week ago, and being summer it was a bit warm -- somewhere a little over 100F. I photographed until 1pm, then took a long break and returned at 6pm and photographed until the full moon rose. Carrying 60 pounds of 8x10 gear in that heat really zapped me.

The lava plains of central WA is interesting enough, but add a series of floods of incredible size, and one has an interesting landscape to say the least. The series of floods were caused when glaciers during the last ice age blocked a river, creating Glacier Lake Missoula -- about the size of present day Lake Ontario. Eventually the lake would burst through the ice dam and drain in about 48 hours -- causing a flow greater than ALL present day rivers in the world combined. And this happened many times.

These flood created Dry Falls -- now 400' tall and 3.5 miles wide ( in comparison, Niagra Falls are 165' tall and a mile wide). It is said that when the flood water was at its height, these falls were not even visible -- just a riffle in the flood -- Portland was under 400' of water due to these floods.

I developed most of the 8x10's last night, and perhaps in the next few days I will scan them and share a few images. Anyone else have images from this place? I definitely plan on returning -- hopefully in a little cooler weather and with more time!

It is worth checking out on Google Maps/Earth!

Vaughn

http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washingto.../Dry_Falls.htm