Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
I have been a working graphic artist and designer since my mid 20's, when I left electronics and manufacturing at the beginnings of the "down sizing" trend. With two plus decades of demonstrated competence and skill level, I haven't been able to find a job paying anything close to a living wage, as nearly every employer wants applicants with a bachelor's degree.
I have been quite lucky as I have been employed by the same company as an electronic design engineer for the last 21 years. I have a hands on practical approach and can often find solutions by thinking differently to the normal trained method. I also like to know how to use most of the machinery in the factory and use it myself to make prototype parts (and cameras!) rather than sit at my desk and let others do it for me. I don't have that holy piece of paper with BSc written on it though so I don't know what I would do if made redundant. Bus driver perhaps!

I sometimes think about how I would do things differently if I were young again. With the knowledge I have now I think I would have liked to study law. In the last few years I have become interested in it, particularly contract law. If I could afford it I would do an Open University* course.

(* UK home study university).

Steve.