Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
Yes, it's the same selenium.

However, check the labeling on a supplement that contains it -- the Recommended Daily Allowance for selenium (for adults, presumably based on something like 70 kg body mass) is 67 micrograms. As little as two or three times the RDA can be significantly toxic. And 67 micrograms of elemental selenium is a speck that would be almost invisible to the naked eye in a good light (even if your eyes are younger than mine and still accommodate for close vision easily).

In the Northwestern USA, Washington state, there's a wildflower called "Camas" that native Americans used as a winter food stock -- the root stores starch, similar to a potato (only much smaller). Problem is, the very same species is poisonous in some locations, and not in others -- the natives knew which meadows had which kind, but the white settlers didn't, and occasionally ate some of the "Death Camas" by mistake (the flowers, white on the safe plants and purple on the deadly ones, aren't visible in winter when the roots are dug for food). The difference? The purple ones are colored by selenium they've concentrated from the soil where it's available...
Go to the toxicity link provided above, ^0 micrograms for women and 70 for men MINIMUM amount per day. Max if you read further is 400 Micrograms.

also Ken I understand the difference between the powdered and the pressed pill. I also knw he washed it up thus any that had dried, was again rewet. Any amounts that would remain after he washed up the mess, would be so infintesimal as to not be a bother. Especially if he used a good soap to help wash it with. We all need to take precautions, but I see too many who worry about minimal risks as if they were about to destroy the person and the planet. Caution yes, paranoia no.