</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jdef @ May 8 2003, 06:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> We all speak, but we&#39;re not all poets. The differences between using proper grammar, and weaving our souls into our words is something akin to the differences in a properly framed and focussed image and a meaningful and expressive photograph. They are both composed of the same elements, but the art lies in the careful and deliberate use of those elements to speak from our souls. It may be that earnestness and expressiveness are too easily confused. If we photograph as we speak, honestly and frankly, our work may be accurate and descriptive, but will it ever rise to the level of poetry?</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
I may be mis-reading this - I do not see a fine line of demarcation between "Proper grammar - properly framed and focused" and "weaving our souls into our words - meaningful and expressive". I don&#39;t think they are mutually exclusive.

I think all the possible permutations "work" here ... It is certainly possible - and it has happened many times - to make an "expressive and meaningful" photograph *BOTH* with and without "fine technical characteristics" - as it is to make "wonderful poetry" with both "good" and "bad" grammar.

I hold the opinion that *my* best work comes from my preconscious, not as the result of careful and deliberate positioning and framing.... but as a "flow" from my "innards".
I&#39;m in no way "putting down" or minimizing the effect or importance of good technicals ... but I DO think there are more important considerations ...

I think I&#39;m probably trying to say that there is NO "cookie-cutter" way to produce ART. If there was, we could simply write a program for this infernal machine, marvel at the wonderful works of our printers, and go home.

I&#39;m not too worried about that happening.

"If we photograph as we speak ... will it ever rise to the level of poetry?"

In my opinion (and note that this is only my opinion - I don&#39;t advertise it as some absolute truth) that is *precisely* the way that has the best chance of "poetry" happening.